NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE (COVER YOUR TANKS)

Sep 10, 2004
Just about the worst thing that could ever happen, did.

I came home today, and came to say hello to my babies.
One of their bowls was empty. totally empty

I found gizmo laying completely still on the carpet

I bent down to pick him up and start a proper burrial
and he MOVED

got him back in his bowl quickly
and he's ALIVE

So, the only reason I'm posting this is to let everyone who doesn't believe that the jump THEY DO. I figured my bowls were way too hard to jump from so I kept them uncovered, and my stupid mistake could have cost gizmo his life.

Luckily, today on my way home, I got new tanks for both my bettas that have TOPS.

so, basically the only point is...COVER YOUR TANKS

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I have 75 bettas in jars. Each and Every jar is covered with fiberglass mesh (using a rubber band) to prevent jumping.

Its no fun removing that many covers for doing water changes, but its the price I pay for breeding bettas and I do it gladly.

I have seen a female jump through a 1/2" hole in my divider lid just to attack a female on the other side.

Yes, they do jump, they are exceptionally good, accurate jumpers. I would guess 6" upwards would not be an issue for a betta.

Keep em covered, keep em safe!

Sep 10, 2004
"It's actually spelled Nyx, you pronounce it sort of like "nukes" in Greek. Nox is cute as a non mythological name though."

I hate to be rude, but... did you think I was unaware of that?!

just because it's taditionally spelt one way doesn't mean people don't take liberties with it.
Anyway, sorry to waste thread space with something totally un-betta related.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Yeeesh, ashleighs getting beat up lately eh?

I have a suggestion, if you have to start your reply with words like "I don't mean to be rude....." I would suggest hitting the backspace key on your keyboard and re-word your comments.

Also...

Lets assume we are all good friends here, and that it takes a lot more than a casual comment to hurt our feelings.