Need 130g SW Decorating Ideas, Please!!!

gscorvette

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

If any of you frequent the Freshwater area, you may have seen my original post:

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8415

I will be picking up the tank next Saturday but haven't decided what I wanted to do with the tank. Originally, I wanted to just use it as a FW setup and either keep the SW parts for later or sell them but my friends are trying to convice my to do a SW setup but I am afraid of the expense.

If I do decide on the SW setup, I'd like to either have a shark setup or reef setup with clowns.

How would you decorate for these setups? What types of costs are involved? If I do a reef setup can I use artificial coral if so how much and where?

Thanks!
Gretchen

Feb 23, 2003
Naples Fl.
www.millevolte.com
Did the tank come with a protein skimmer? How much light will it have?

A reef set-up will require at least 6 watts per gallon.

I would start off with cycling with at least 50lbs of LR. and do a fish with live rock only. I would also go with a deep sand bed with live sand.

Later down the road you could always upgrade to a reef.

Below is good resource for SW.
WetWebMedia

I started my first SW tank almost 3 months ago and I really dig it.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey so ya got it eh? :) awesome. I still think if you have the money and they gave you all working parts, and you can afford the setup then it would be an awesome tank as a saltwater...though freshwater would be much cheaper!

Eh...don't know anything about sw really so I just wanted to say congrats on the tank.

-H

gscorvette

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
Spike,

This is a complete SW setup. The previous owner had it set up as a reef tank so I would guess a protein skimmer will be coming with it.

What would be an average cost for live rock and where would be the best place to obtain it?

Froggy,

Thanks! I can't wait to get the tank on Saturday. I wanted to get it this weekend but did not want to deal with the Fourth of July traffic. Right now, I'm trying to get a feel for SW costs. Once I have a better idea, I'll decide what way I'm going to go. If I go with freshwater I'd like to have a different look than my 30g. The 30g looks very natural with rocks, driftwood, lots of plants, and tan colored stones.

Keep the info coming everyone!

Thanks!
Gretchen

Feb 23, 2003
Naples Fl.
www.millevolte.com
That's great! I would not even hesitate to start a SW tank if I where you. You should be able to get some LR at an LFS. LR prices range anywhere from $4.99LB - $8.99LB. There are some good deals on-line that include shipping but I prefer to see and test what I am buying. If it stinks don't by it. Many reefers prefer Fiji rock. I look at each piece individually. You want to get pieces with lots of holes, nooks and crannies. Look for lots of coralline algae growth as well. These rocks will have purple, red, pink, turquoise, and sometimes orange colors covering them.

Are you getting the lighting set-up as well? What is the previous owner doing with its contents? Maybe he/she could let you seed the tank with some of the existing materials.

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
You need to go and look at a lot of tanks and decide what you like but...

This tank is miles to small for any shark. Just forget that.

Turing into a reef will cost you, principally for live rock and lighting

Research time - we can't do this for you. Otherwise you'll end up with a tank we like, not you