Need a 90 gallon tank divider.

Feb 21, 2006
Hi,

As the subject says. I have a 90 gallon planted tank that I want to partition 1/4 of it for livebearers. I cannot find dividers that large. Is there a DIY for one that big? I want it to exchange water but not let fry through it.

Thanks a bunch
:confused:

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Plexiglass is available at most larger retail hardware stores and they usually cut it to your dimensions so you shouldn't have to buy a full sheet.

Two options for installing it;
1) cut exactly to the size you want and then secure it with silicone (troublesome and messy).
2) Cut it about 3/8" wider than you need and let it hold itself in place by tension created when it bows.

If you use plexiglass, make sure you vent it. That is, use an awl or nail heated with a household propane torch to melt holes through it about two-inches apart and no closer than 1 inch to any edge. Don't try drilling plexiglass, it'll break.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
since you want to keep your livebearers separate, i'm assuming you won't be perforating it so that fry won't be able to cross the divider. with that said, how will you be circulating the water on their side of the divider? may want to have a HOB filter on their side.