need a lil help

Aug 25, 2006
Indiana
i have a 55 gallon saltwater tank. recently had an outbreak of ick....lovely i know. transfered all my fish ( a butterfly, angel, hawkfish, tomato clown, 2 damsels, blenny, and a goby) to a qt. tank and began treatment. The beginning of the third day (yesterday) they started dropping like flies!! First the butterfly, he was the worst. Followed by the Angel, and then my biggest damsel ( who didnt even look like he had it). A friend of mine who has had this hobby for years said i should leave them all in there with the meds for atleast a week! Honestly i am starting to feel that either the meds or tank is killing my beautiful fish! Please i would love advice, i want to put the healthly ones back in my 55 but dont want to kill everything that we do have. Oh and i blame the big corp. that dont really care about the fish they have just want us to buy them so all of our healthly fish will die so we will buy more.... sorry just a lil upset ...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Also, by leaving your main display tank fallow for 6 weeks you are ensuring it is ick free as the parasite cycle will have been broken. What are you using in your qt? Some fish are sensitive to copper....

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
that is way too many fish for a 55 anyways, the ick was probably stress induced due to over crowding, you are the one who chose to buy the fish and that many of them from the "big corporation," you could have gotten them at a small, locally owned lfs that cares about the fish they sell.

back to your problem. what biological filtration are you using? my guess is that the tank didnt have the capability to handle that bio load all of a suddenm, and now your levels in the qt are out of whack and that is why they are dying, just for hoots how big is the qt tank?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Read the QT sticky as it contains some info. I would guess ammonia spike. But ich will kill butterflies, angels pretty quickly anyway. Angels are also sensitive to copper, butterflies aren't.

It's easy to blame a big corp, but after this you'll be using a QT properly I suspect. This sort of thing is heartbreaking. By the way ich has zilch to do with stress - een wild fish have it at subcritical levels, but a tank is like a perfect breeding enviroment