Need a little help w/ my Tank

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
I have my tank up since Feb. I've had a bunch of fish go in and out of the tank as I've learned the ropes. Thanks to this site I've learned a lot.

Right now I have

2x Zebra Danio
1x (maybe?) Pearl/Silver Danio
2x serpae tetra
2x Guppys
1x Otocinclus
3x Glofish (please don't shout)

Its a 14g tank with a heater and a big filter (up to 50g)

Now... my questions:

1) I just burnt out a hood that I bought used. What is the best way to get a new one? It was florescent so I want to get the same type. How much should I pay for one? Are there any specific online sources that have reliable ones (if this is allowed by the forum to recomend stores)?

2) My favorite fish guy at the local Petsmart, who is a smart and nice guy, was surprised that I didnt have a airpump. Can someone tell me about them and if I should have one for my 14g? And if so what type size ect?

THANKS!

~Corey

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
You don't really need an air pump in a fish tank. I work at Petsmart too and I don't think I've ever recommended one for anything more than aesthetic value. The bubbles they give off don't really do anything as far as oxygen goes. Surface agitation(like the kind generated from HOB filters) is what helps with gas exchange on the surface.

Scooper

Medium Fish
Jul 15, 2009
1. You could go to any pet store and pay $20-$40 or you could google how to make a light for your tank yourself for around $5-$10.

2. As RexeyTexel said as long as the surface of the water is being broken by your filter there is no need for one. If you really want to get one try something for a 20 gallon tank because I've never seen them for an odd sized tank like yours.

I hope this helped and if I said anything wrong then someone please correct me. I'm new to the hobby too but I've done a lot of research.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
One advantage of an air stone is that in the event of a power outage while you are away,, the airstone will reume operation the moment power is resored thus supplying oxygen. Some filters must be primed to restart them after power outage.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
I do keep a battery-powered air pump connected to an air stone in the house in the event of power outages. But otherwise, I don't run air stones.

I have a Rena XP2 canister filter plus two Whisper 10 HOB filters on my 20g tank and I've lost power and they start right back up on their own.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I have approx six Emperor HOB filters in operation and a couple spares for parts. I usually don't need to turn them off for 25 percent water changes but on occasion I'll do larger water change which requires that I turn em off to keep from running them dry. Some restart when plugged back in,some don't.:confused: