Need a Lot of Help with a Blue Fish

Nov 21, 2010
OK. When I was little was when I got my first fish. Actually, two fish. A blue little one, about the size of a goldfish, completely blue with super long flowing fins, somewhat circle-y shaped, named Blueberry, and a big fat black one, completely black with short fins and had a longer, more oval-shaped, long body. The person at Wal-Mart didn't bother to tell me that the black fish that I didn't even want but my mom made me get so the blue fish, my favorite, wouldn't get lonely, was a natural predator to the blue fish and later that day I was sitting in my room and Blackberry ate Blueberry. My mom said it was because I didn't remember to feed it, but there was proof that I fed them around the bowl when I had spilled it. Does anyone know what kind of fish that Blueberry was? My mom says I'm more 'responsible' now and that I can get another fish like that. Also, can someone give me tips on how to start a simple, single-fished fishbowl? A small one? And also, this fish was definitely NOT a tropical or saltwater fish, it was in the same tank with goldfish, so I'm thinking it's a type of goldfish or a close relative. Is there a way, also, that I could keep it bare-bottom? My friend does and her fish are fine. She just keeps them in a little... 8 inch around?? fish bowl and it is as happy as a clam, not sick or anything, and she has had it since late September in a bare-bottom bowl on her dresser. This is what I plan to do, and what I did last time before my fish ate the other one. Thanks for the help! Sorry if I need so much help!

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I agree with OC you should get your goldfish minimum a 20 gallon tank or return it.

Also fish don't get lonely unless they are schooling fish and they get stressed not lonely. I have never heard of a goldfish eating another goldfish but it obviously happened. If your fish ate your other fish it was probably from being kept in a small space (causing stress) and they were "battling" for space.

Your friend keeps a goldfish in a fishbowl? While the fish may look fine, no goldfish can live happily or healthily in a fishbowl (really no fish should be kept in a fishbowl). Being kept in a too small tank stunts a fish's growth compressing the organs and eventually leading to a slow death.

If you wanted to get a small tank then I would suggest getting a 5 gallon tank kit (filter, heater and hood/lights) and getting a single betta for it.

Meleemaker

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2010
Pierre SD
When he said blue I thought betta, when he said long y shaped fin, betta came to mind again. Blue is the dominant trait in bettas and why is it the most frequent in pet store bettas. The blackmore is alsoa good guess. I just didnt know a betta would have it in him. Betta also have many diferent forms(betta spendens most common) with many different tails such as veil, crown, comb, delta, double(split), super delta, and halfmoon. So it could have been any of those. Most likely a veil

And as for a fishbow, you should avoid it AT ALL COSTS. You can not keep a stable ecosystem in a tiny space. If one thing changes minorly, your entire tank goes into chaos. Like said above by achase, you should invest in at least a 5 gallon tank for ONE male betta, or a couple of tiny tetra(3 or 4 pushing it).

I purchased a 1 gal and had a betta for a year or two. I was young and never really took care of him and he eventaully got a swim bladder disorder and with a mix of bad water param he eventually deied slowly. Thats somthing I never ever would do again.

I purchased a 55 gal for some sharks which died because again I wasnt doing my research. I only let the tank cycle about 2 weeks and I never really understood the grasp of it until after I made the mistake and lost almost 50 dollars in two real nice black fins. I purchased 4 10 gallon tanks since I got my larger one. You should avoid that by buying big.

Im sad Aak beat me to the punch, but im assuming what he said was true.