Need a new heater

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
My heater's been all nuts lately and my tank temperature soared to 95degrees F today. My guppies are dead, but remarkably my cories are still ok although 1 pygmy cory looks like he might not make it.

Anyways, it's only a 5.5g tank and I was wondering on any cheap but steady heater recommendations, thanks. :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd get a 25w submersible heater, kind that you can turn the dial to a specific temperature instead of just going by guess. Honestly none are really better than the others, I used to have two kinds to reccomend and then I had one of each malfunction on me, so its really just luck of the draw I think. I just got new heaters for several of my tanks as they were on sale at dr fosters and smith.

Sorry to hear about the guppies, I had a heater stick on in my 55 a couple weeks ago and lost all of my fish in that tank except two (JD and pleco), when I noticed the tank was up about 98 degrees :(

britnewt

Small Fish
Mar 6, 2006
I had a similer problem unfortunatly my heater busted open before I was able to remove it. I got a heater for 10 bucks at the lfs for my 20gal. I don't like it because how its made you have to fill it over the tank's walls to get it where the heater is recomended waterline area. So I would much rather get a submersible one. And as for a dial for the temp. I would get one with markings of some sort to tell you where about you want your temp. because mine has noting and it wasn't set right so when I placed it in to adjust I had to guess on which way to turn the dial and my temp. then was already too high. :)