Need a Saltwater Filtration Opinion

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Ok so I have my 29gal setup and going now. I have a AquaC Remora w/maxijet 1200, and 35lbs of live rock. I was wondering, should I add a smaller penguin Bio-wheel (with the bio wheel removed of course) to help with the big chunks in the water? I can also add activated carbon to the filter to help with the water quality. It just seems that when I had a small algae breakout after my recent cycle, that when I scraped the dust-like green algae off the glass and it went into the water, there was nothing to really help filter it out. Would the filter even do anything considering I have a skimmer as well?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
you could run a small power filter with just floss and carbon for mechanical and chemical filtration...just make sure to keep up maintenance on it

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
personally I think it is for the most part a waste of time as the skimmer will pull out most of any particles provided they are small enough to get into it....

Jun 29, 2008
PA
i dont mean to hijack this thread but i have a biowheel 350 in my 50g tank along with an Aqua C Remora with mj1200.

it appears that having the biowheels is not a good idea, therefore while i remove them from the aquarium, is it appropriate to remove them both simultaenously? or will this cause a shock to the tank. (this is a 50g tank with 60+ lbs of LR and 20 lbs of live sand)

A few years ago (before I moved and had to sell my tanks), I had a 55g Saltwater with approx. 60lbs of live rock. I actually used a AquaC Remora skimmer with a maxijet1200 and also a Penguin 350 HOB with carbon and no bio-wheel and my tank was always crystal clear. As long as you have a good balance in the tank and you cycled it properly you really shouldn't have any problems. My skimmer did a great job getting all the small particles and protein out of the water where the carbon filter did a great job balancing the filter to help with any algae or ammonia spikes that happened.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
wow that sounds just like my case!! I am using the Marineland 350 and blue carbon pads.

tank was slowly cycled and has been up since the end of September, very stable (knock on wood).