need a small algae eating fish

nitewulf

Small Fish
Nov 7, 2004
Visit site
i have a 5 gallon hex tank w/ 3 neon tetras, 3 white clouds and 1 female sword...
the algae is overtaking the plastic sides of the tank. i dont wanna use chemicals or snails. i'm wondering if there is any 1.5 to 2 incher fish that will eat algae.
some of you might say the tank is overcrowded but the fish are doing pretty well. i change water every 1.5 weeks, and feed them once a day. had them since november. there was a male sword though, which died. problem with snails is there was bit of a overcrowding incident i had, after i bought some plants. and i had to manually hunt them down, along with their eggs. dont wanna go through that again.

Jan 19, 2005
Astoria, NY
www.freewebs.com
yah it seems overcrowded but i think it's alright also... i guess ur just on the limit... well i guess u can get an otocinclus or amano shrimps...
however keep it mind that otocinclus are quite sensitive, ur tank must be stable and in good condition before adding them... and try to ask the lfs how long they've had the fishes coz im telling u they're really sensitive...
my experience with them was, i bought 3 of them, then the next day 2 of them died... but the remaining one is healthy....

Luvi

Medium Fish
Feb 23, 2005
San Francisco, California
twoluvcats said:
i toned it down with an airstone...the desgin of the hex makes the water pretty stagnant...the airstone stirred things up and made it so the buggers couldn't stick to the sides of the tank.
How big is your air stone? Or do you use an air curtain to wrap around the edges?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think your main problem is that the number of fish you have and the infrequency of your water changes is causing your algae. I would say that water changes at least once a week (twice would be better) would help get rid of your algae. The best algae cleaner in the world is you :)

slurpor

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
I have a bristlenose (ancistrus) plecostamus in my 5g hex, and I would recommend them as excellent algae eaters. They stay about 2" and are much hardier than ottos. The bristlenose are better at cleaning glass and rocks than ottos, but ottos will clean your plants better and will not damage them. Lotus is right- you are a bit overstocked as it is, so your tank will get grungy fast. I only have 3 fish in my 5g, and I still have to do 2 gallon water changes twice a week!

slurpor

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Yikes! I didn't realize bristlenose grew to 5". I guess I'll be returning mine when they get too big! That bites. Well, ottos are good too, as long as they don't die within the first couple days. If they live past the first week, they usually do pretty well.