Need advice: algae eater, aggressiveness and dying fish

Sep 4, 2005
Las Vegas
OK there's a long story here, but I'll give the readers digrest
version. I think I need to get rid of my Chinese algae eater as I
think he's the underlying reason I've lost three adult females this
month. I should specify that I have seven (well... now six really) Peacock Cichlids and a chinese algae eater in a 75 gallon tank. I have been watching my fish very closly this past week, and this last female had great color and wasn't acting stressed AT ALL. I just went downstairs and caught the algae eater chewing on her side. Then I found this online:

"One downside to these fish is that when they age, they can become
very aggressive towards other algae eaters"(I've had him about 5 yrs)
"They also have a habit of attaching themselves to larger fish,
which can inflict some serious wounds"

She's too far gone at this point and he won't leave her alone. I
separated her (in the tank) as I just can't stand by and do
nothing. Which brings me to my other problem. She's obviously
going to die, but I have a hard time pulling a fish out while I can
still see gill movement. I know I'm probably stressing my other
fish by leaving her in there, but exactly what am I supposed to do?
And secondly, if he has to go... what do I do with him? My DH will
flush him if I ask him to, but I hate to kill a perfectly healthy,
albeit aggressive fish.

Ugh! Why can't they all just get along! lol Has anyone else had
similar experiences?

Shanna
Any advice?

Last edited:

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I'd go ask your lfs if they will take him off your hands.My shop will take almost anything off your hands but they never pay anything.If it's killing the other fish though he has to go or be seperated.
If you want to know about putting fish to sleep there is a thread here somewhere discussing euthanasia and the various methods.Do a search.

I agree with TLH... get rid of the chinese algae eater... :) If your particular fish is agressive then there's not much you'll be able to keep him with.. so getting rid of him and handing him over to the LFS, is the best choice, just say he didn't get along with your others. As for your fish, give her time to heal, etc... if you feel it's completely nessarsary to kill the fish, i wouldn't flush it, there's already a thread about the best ways to kill your fish (charming, lol).. and flushing is THEE most inhumane and cowardly way, because the fish can survive the flushing and die alone, and, sometimes painfully... The best thing to do, is get a bowl of water, keep it in the freezer overnight, then the next morning, crack all the ice, so the bowl is full of FREEZING water, then slowly dip the fish in.. it'll take about 15seconds to die, and is the best way to do so.. or you can do the same technique with alcohol, which is apparently better.
I wouldn't advise you kill your fish, wait a while, pop up to your LFS and get some melafix... (or wound healer.. they'll be lots around), then add a dose to the place you're keeping the fish (bearing in mind you should keep her in a big jug or something full of the tank water.. i did that when my fish was poorly), and you may see an improvement.. I'd, personally, be a responsible pet owner, and try my hardest to keep the poor little thing alive, by your post - correct me if i'm wrong - it's JUST a wound, it'll heal. First step, get rid of that Algea eater! Now! lol

Sep 4, 2005
Las Vegas
Thanks guys for all the advice. The female did die yesterday. If I wasn't very clear in my first post, she was way bad off when I first found them. The CAE was attached to her side, and she was just floating around tail up, nose down and had obviously given up. Like I said, I separated her with the net, but there was no getting better at that point. That's what really makes me angry. Had I been aware of it earlier, I would have yanked the CAE and spared her.

I'm just really bad at watching stuff die. I'll hafta research that post on euth.ing fish but I'm really not looking forward to it. Then again, I don't want to be the one with a 75 gallon tank with just a CAE and nothing else!

Thanks again!