Need advice fast on 55 gallon aquarium deal

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
I just saw an ad for a 55 gallon saltwater tank in my town. The person who owns it is moving and needs it picked up tonight. She is willing to sell it for $75.00. I called my local Petco and they said they would be willing to take in the one fish living in there, so that wouldn't be a problem. What I need to know, is if the tank is in good condition is it worth the money?

It comes with a hood, lights, air pump and protein skimmer. Obviously I wouldn't have use for the protein skimmer since this will be a freshwater aquarium for me.

Is this a good deal? Please comment if you can!

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
OCCFan023 said:
if its in good condition definitely take it. Do you know what kind of skimmer and lights are it?
I don't know anything about the lights or skimmer. What would I want to check for besides obvious scratches to see if it's in good condition?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I dont see a filter, and does it come with a stand? ...with a 55 I definitely wouldn't reccomend an undergravel filter (the fact that it comes with an air pump leads me to believe it has a UGF). If you're in the market for a 55g tank...75 would be great for the whole setup, but think how much you're willing to put into the setup, 80 bucks for a filter, 50 or so for a stand (assuming you can find one on craiglist or at a garage sale etc or it'd be more).

Dont forget to ask petco what they'd sell you a 55 tank, hood and lights for...I bet its not a whole lot.

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
It doesn't come with a filter or stand. It does come with some live rock though which I unfortunately don't want. I was just going to see if the pet store could take the rock too though since I have no intention of getting into salt water fish. I was under the impression that a tank, hood and lights alone from Petco or Petsmart would be hundreds of dollars. Do others know this not to be the case?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
well if they're SW lights that have been upgraded they could be worth quite a bit...but not likely, and it may not matter because you're doing FW not SW so it'd be a waste to run metal halides or something.

Best way to find out what they'd cost new would be to just call them or go visit.

That'd be a killer price for someone getting into SW though....LR is upwards of $10 a pound. Any of our Mass folks want to jump on it??

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
Well, if any MA people do want to get in on this deal, you'd better act quickly! She's moving soon and needs it picked up ASAP.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Where in MA is this? (Obviously I can't pick it up last night, though)

I also would suggest you start a SW tank, all the extra expense is gone since you've already got the LR and the skimmer. Just costs a bit more to stock than FW.

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
It's just outside of Boston. Actually, it turns out that she's not moving until Saturday so I guess you could still buy it if you wanted. Send me a Private Message if you want more info.

I'm definitely not interested in starting a salt water tank. Thanks for the suggestion though!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I'm not close to Boston, unfortunately...

You could probably sell the LR back to the LFS for like $50 if there's 50lbs or so... and then have a $25 55g tank setup...