Need advice for scaping a rock-focused 75g freshwater aquarium

Apr 25, 2009
Tampa, FL, USA
twitter.com
Just about ready to start my first aquarium, but I'm having "writers block" with aquascaping. I want a natural look with slate-type rocks and some (artificial) plants. Most of the aquarium pics I come across are lush live planted tanks. Anywhere to look for inspiration, or any advice? And how do you go about creating large stable rock structures?

damian09

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2009
i just went down to the beach and went looking for loads of flat rocks (not to big) and just built brick on top of brick then use the longest one to create like a rock roof hope that helps you can also by sand for your tank from and local lfs and it looks great i also think real plant are a no no because the die easy fake ones are much better

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Just about ready to start my first aquarium, but I'm having "writers block" with aquascaping. I want a natural look with slate-type rocks and some (artificial) plants. Most of the aquarium pics I come across are lush live planted tanks. Anywhere to look for inspiration, or any advice? And how do you go about creating large stable rock structures?
I understand completely how you feel. It seems I am always changing the decor in my 80 gal Dempsey tank. At first, I googled.. "photos of cichlid tanks" and a couple of sites popped up which gave me an idea of what I would like for the tank to look like. I belive they were cichlid forums with photos of different members tanks. I then went to lawn and garden stores searching for suitable rock. I chose slate and flagstone having no desire to alter the alkalinity of the tank. I also utilized large pieces of driftwood which helped with the look I was trying to create. Large ,.smooth,and rather flat river stones were also used to help support the slate and flagstone. I sadly, am never satisfied ,and am always rearranging the tank it seems and each week,, everything comes out for gravel vaccuming.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
I understand completely how you feel. It seems I am always changing the decor in my 80 gal Dempsey tank. At first, I googled.. "photos of cichlid tanks" and a couple of sites popped up which gave me an idea of what I would like for the tank to look like. I belive they were cichlid forums with photos of different members tanks. I then went to lawn and garden stores searching for suitable rock. I chose slate and flagstone having no desire to alter the alkalinity of the tank. I also utilized large pieces of driftwood which helped with the look I was trying to create. Large ,.smooth,and rather flat river stones were also used to help support the slate and flagstone. I sadly, am never satisfied ,and am always rearranging the tank it seems and each week,, everything comes out for gravel vaccuming.
LOL
thats gotta be a pain in the you know what !
ive been wanting to change the gravel in my 20gal but im tooo lazy ! lol
and with an 80 gal theres so much you can do i would probly want to try different things all the time also. lol