NEED ADVICE

lee1nonly

Small Fish
Jan 5, 2006
IM GETING A FISH TANK FOR MY KIDS BATHROOM ALL THAT WILL FIT IS A 5-7 GALLON HEX TANK. WHAT KIND OF FISH SHOULD I GET AND HOW MANY?

SPIKE88

Medium Fish
Dec 8, 2005
Ohio
Try a school of 6-10 neons or cardnals, they are pretty and will do well in the tank. The kids will love them. Cory cats would be nice also, they are very active and fun to watch.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i like white cloud minnows. definitly cory cats, they're fun. stay away from goldfish (your tank isn't big enoguh to accomodate goldies) and larger fish. stick to fish that are an inch or so in length. i'd keep the number of fish to 5.

Oct 24, 2005
Just agreeing with everyone else, keep to small fish, and school them. To clarify, Sea meant an inch or so in length ADULT SIZE. Always check the adult size.

Last edited:
Didint you just post on this?? 10 of the tetras may be abit to overcrowding, but I agree with ya on getting Tetras ^_^ Kids and adults both love em.

And as what I said before o.o " One inch to every gallon. If when their full grown they will be more then that, get less then four and wait to see how they look when their grown ups ^^. If they are already full size or you can get a hold of some pricless Fry, get 5 -7 for your 5-7Gal aquarium. but thats only if your COMPLEATLY sure they wont grow bigger then a inch a piece. researching is always best before you go out and get the fish :)

yeah, Jayrod7 is right ^_^ Thats why I'm having them in my tank rather then Tetras. They are more colorful and as long as you get about four males and three females. You should have fry in no time just for the kids to watch, but be careful when they get older. It can become overcrowding if the adults manage to leave most of the babies survive in the plants you choose to buy them. Heres some photos of mind if you want to show the kiddies some Guppies called "Reticulated Snakeskins and Mosiacs =3! I know I was raised in a guppy inhabbitens, it's the best fishie but doesint do well if you end up getting a betta in the future or another school of fish* learned from some HARD expeariance...*

They have alot of small problems and dont take much research compaired to other fish, just watch for parasites,ick, fin rot, Depression and them attacking eachother ,if you have all sorts of colored males though, they will build their own higherarcy with barly any tail biteing, just be sure to get at lease three different kinds of guppies.

Reticulated Yellow/Albino Snakskin mail and Reticulated Mosiac female>

Dispersed Reticulated Mosiac male>

Delta Lepord printed Female>

It's also a good way to teach your children about life itself by watching the babies that survive grow up, mait,spaw, and continue another generation while showing them the differents between male and female fishies. Like male and female humans =D I find it has a easier way in the future to use fish and fish insted nof birds and the bees to teach kids this matter XD But it's your choice really. They will learn on their own if you get guppies on how life regrows and faids for new ones to frolic.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
im not sure if you mentioned this or not but the females can store sperm in them so even if you buy only a female from the lfs you can still have a large chance of getting babies. all livebearers can do that. im not sure about the other egglayers though......

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Jayrod7 said:
im not sure if you mentioned this or not but the females can store sperm in them so even if you buy only a female from the lfs you can still have a large chance of getting babies. all livebearers can do that. im not sure about the other egglayers though......
that happened to me...
got six female platties...no males...
one was pregnant...now got 16 fry...yikes... :)

didn't i answer this thread...in another thread...
i'm going nutso...:):):)