Need advice

Jun 19, 2008
Hi i yesterday i bought 1 angel fish and one palyt i have a 5 gallon hexagon shaped tank with no decorations so today i bought two plants and 1 more angelfish am i over crowding and if i am what size should i get because if i upgrade i also want room for more fish.

ANGELFISH BEHAVIOR
my first angel fish just stayed next to the corner of my tank and now that i got another one it just sits and stares at the other one is that o.k.?? are they sick?

PLATY BEHAVIOR
platy is acting very oddly sitting up at the top just chillen if i tap the tank it springs to life and then just stays at the top. i hought it was cause it wanted a hiding spot so i bought the plants. it is moving around more but still not doing much is that bad??

They are all eating well and the tank's temperature is a steddy 78 i don't test the ph or anything either is that bad??

please i need help very new to tropical fish.

p.s. i bought the fish from wal mart and kept the receipt just in case

Thanks for the help!!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Take the fish back.
Read the stickies at the top of the thread about cycling your tank and the rest of the beginner advice on water chemistry.

A 5 G is WAY too small for both fish and soon to be very toxic for them too.

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
There is a search feature at the top of the page, and there are also stickies in the beginner section. You need to learn about cycling before you get more fish. Also, you should research the fish before you buy them- so you can see if they get along, how big they get, what they eat, etc. When stocking your tank, you need to stick to the 1" of fish per gallon rule to keep things as healthy as possible. I'm not sure how big angels are supposed to get, and it depends on the kind that you have. But, I'm sure they wouldn't be very happy in a 5g. They get very tall and like to have lots of space to swim.

If you have any questions about how cycling works, we are all here to help! This is really the first step to fish keeping.

We just want you to have a successful and healthy tank! :) Welcome to MFT!

Jun 19, 2008
There is a search feature at the top of the page, and there are also stickies in the beginner section. You need to learn about cycling before you get more fish. Also, you should research the fish before you buy them- so you can see if they get along, how big they get, what they eat, etc. When stocking your tank, you need to stick to the 1" of fish per gallon rule to keep things as healthy as possible. I'm not sure how big angels are supposed to get, and it depends on the kind that you have. But, I'm sure they wouldn't be very happy in a 5g. They get very tall and like to have lots of space to swim.

If you have any questions about how cycling works, we are all here to help! This is really the first step to fish keeping.

We just want you to have a successful and healthy tank! :) Welcome to MFT!
Thank you for the advice the fish aren't bigger then 1.5 inches for the angels and about .75 for the playta and I will be receving a 29 gallon tank any advice how to cycle what plants I should get and when I should get more fish also I was wondering if the angels and the plyta can Handel aquarium salt so I can get a spotted puffer? Thanks for the help.

P.s. I was wondering if the playta's behavior is regular or is it sick or is it possible pregnant :-(

Last edited:

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
You need to do a lot of research on spotted puffers before you try getting them. I don't think they are recommended for beginners. They also get rather large.
The 1" of fish per gallon rule is intended for adult sizes. You should figure out what species of angel fish you have so you can check on how big they are supposed to get.
I'm not sure I would keep a pair of angelfish in a 29g either. They get pretty tall and I think they can be territorial.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
You need to do a lot of research on spotted puffers before you try getting them. I don't think they are recommended for beginners. They also get rather large.
The 1" of fish per gallon rule is intended for adult sizes. You should figure out what species of angel fish you have so you can check on how big they are supposed to get.
I'm not sure I would keep a pair of angelfish in a 29g either. They get pretty tall and I think they can be territorial.

Be careful! The 1" of fish per gallon rule does NOT apply to puffers and other aggressive/territorial fish. For example little drawf puffers need 3 to 5 gallons each even though they're under an inch in length. Larger puffers are even more aggressive and most of them need brackish water conditions (some even require full marine at differant life stages). Most puffers also need to be kept in species only tanks or they will eat anything they can catch.

Also note Aquarium salt is NOT the same as sea salt (which is requirede for brakish and marine conditions).

Angels also you have to take into account thier height and that they're also cichlids themselves. Like Meghan said they can be very territorial. Give the angels as much room as you possibly can and be very careful about what you stock with them. Small tetras (like neons) will get eatten. Larger fish may get bullied by them as well.