Need cover for a tiny tank - any ideas?

nesthead

Small Fish
Nov 4, 2005
Happy 2006 everyone!

I got a little (2g?) tank for Christmas, but it has no lid. I don't know why it was made that way, but whatever. It's called an "Office Fish Tank" and comes with some toys in it for the fish to hide.

I'm planning on getting my first Betta to put in there, but I'd like to know what's a good idea to make a cover out of? I can make a wooden top, put it on hinges and create a box-like top with airholes, but if there's something better for the fish (like a clear plexy) I'd rather go that route. I don't want the little guy jumping out once I get him. ;)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I vote plexiglass. Yes, they do make a hood for a 2.5g but it covers the entire top so there's no room for a filter or heater or anything... or air exchange. You can have your hardware store cut a little piece for you... bring the dimensions. You might want to ask for double thick or something... I started with normal plexiglass and it warps horribly-you have to flip it over every few days so it doesn't dip into the water or fall in. On that note, you should also get the dimensions as big as possible to still fit on the top border, so it fits in there snug. The hood for my 2.5g cost 50 cents all cut with double thick plexiglass.