need driftwood help

Iceman

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2004
Carpentersville Illinois
Visit site
I have a large piece of driftwood. Its about 29 in. long and about 4 in. in diameter. So its obviously to big to boil it. Right now I have it in my bathtub, with two five pound bricks keeping it submerged. Its been like that for four days. So if I keep it submersed will it eventually become waterlogged? Any other ideas will be a help also.

Iceman

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
it would prolly be better to sink it in something outside because the heat will help the process along faster, however without being able to boil it, the time it will take could be long. It may be better to afix it to heavy rocks with some type of silicone or epoxy in the aquarium

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I think you should be fine after soaking it for 4 days. Did you keep it in there because you wanted to clean it (from tanins) or because you wanted it to become waterlogged?

If you just wanted to make it stay at the bottom by itself, only way you will know is to test it

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
i have a large piece also and all i did was clean it and put it in ....if ur piece is that large i dont see why it wouldnt stay down...as far as cleaning it...all i did was put it in a bucket in very hot tap water to get the tannins outs...just kept soaking it for bout 2 days....once water seem clear i got a old toothbrush and scrubbed it for 2 more days in hot water to get off all dirt and debris then put it in the tank...been fine ever since....

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
I have a piece of driftwood that is probably about 22in long. It wouldn't fit completely in a pot, so I boiled each half at a time. Altogether, it had about 3 hours of boiling time over the course of 2 days. In between boiling, I set it by a window to dry in the sun. You'll probably never completely get rid of the tannins, and you may notice the water having a slight brown tint when you siphon it into a bucket. If it's been properly soaked, you won't notice the brown tine in the water when you look at the tank. And tannins won't hurt the fish either.

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
if u soak it enough u will get rid of the tannins.....scrub it also...instead of gluing it to rock why dont u just put it in the tank how u want it...do u know that it floats up...maybe it will stay down

I know this is late but I hope you cleaned your bathtub good first. Soap scum is very hard to get off but if you poured boiling water in your tub, that might do it and I would hate for it to get into your wood. If you were down here in N'Awlins (New Orleans), I would have set up the crawfish boiler for you... with a 15G pot which is about 30" deep.