Need help fast

jamesw

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Surrey, England
1 of my tiger barbs are swmming funny like on its side, it also looks slightly fatter than the others im really worried. it looks like its seziering while swimming. can anybody help me please.

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
A few of my fish have had this in the past, i think its dropsy even tho i have never seen the scales sticking out.
Unfortunately, i have noticed that the fish who get this die a few hours later :(

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
not sure if its contagious, but i dont think it is. Just do a big waterchange to keep the water quality in top condition.
Obviously i dont know if its painful cuz im not a fish but i dont think its exactly a pain-free way to die.
maybe put him out of his misery?

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
i agree with helenas advice. good advice there. i think the fish is taking a turn for the worst.(may it R.I.P)

p.s. your name wouldn't be james wrest would it? if it is you could probrably guess my name from my forum name.

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
well. ok it makes me happy to know your not james wrest lol... phewww. right. about the fish. do you have any methylene blue or melafix? i know its not a definate disease but its best to try a cure instead of none. as far as i know those two wont cause any ilnesses. if you do decide to use them. dont use at same time unless you really think it will be ok. and read all instructions.

also if you dont have them. you dont need to buy them. it will help in future but it is likely that it will not cure the fish.

methylene blue kills parasites and calms the fish. but im not sure what will happen with your fish. methylene blue also stains ornaments and kills some/most plants.

melafix is completely natural but im not sure if it will help your fish.

keep posting us info on how hes doing.

Dan.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
mblue and melafix will not do anything for him since he doesn't have any open sores or wounds...

The best thing you can do at this point is to give him calm in the tank. Keep the lights out, see if you can keep other fish from picking on him (without putting him in a net or seperate tank, this will just stress him out more), if he recovers great, if not, at least he died in peace. Water changes always seem to help, so if you can do one of those without really disturbing him, I'd try that too.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
You could always try throwing a Pea in there that could help the swim bladder problem (if thats what it is).

The problem is getting them to eat it, usually when they are sick they don't want to eat it so you have to place it with a a hose clip on the bottom.