Need help in contverting Juwel Aqurium to marine?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Depends what you want to keep. That's effectively 20 gallons US for american readers. The juwel internal filter is hopeless, just run it as a power head, and get another one, or a fluval 4 internal filter to keep carbon in. The waterpumps in juwels aren't very strong, and I think the one in the smaller rekords is only 200 lph. It's up to you if you bother keeping the internal filter box in there, with the heater inside, or if you just rip it out - I can't think of much to do with it immediately. I would also move the heater , at leastto another position in the filter box as I found in my bigger rekord (160) that in it's default position in the filter it wouldn't keep the temp steady. The light is a single fluorescent (normal output) which is likely too weak for most 'reef' creatures, but there retrofits available, including T5 adaption kits. A hang on skimmer would be nice but will involve carving the hood.
I considered attacking a juwel this way, but never did it. Whenever I see reports of people just using the juwels as is, they always seem to be having hassles as the filtration and water movement are just not good enough.

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Metal halide is good according to some people though some would call it overkill. You'll need to lose the hood then as it will simply be melted. There are T5 retrofit kits for rekords goingaround.
I can't see you needing more than 10 kilos of rock, maybe less. You need some space in there.

jaws2

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2003
massachusetts
Visit site
ok one MH is expensive,energy wasting, and hot:( however if you got cp light they run cool and last forever u would need 1 or 2 you need 6 watts for evry gallon of water to have anomres and coral which is 120 watts of FLOURESNT LIGHTING MH is not as powerful but the spectrum is prefect

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
Happyplaty,

You must first decide what type of animals you plan to keep. if you plan on sps, clams & anenomes, I would go with the single MH. Despite what you may hear, they are the most effective means for keeping these critters alive. If you want lps & softies, you can look into the T5, power compacts and VHO.

Brian

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Lighting depends on the tanks inhabitants. MH is only needed for high intensity corals and inverts. Some anemones and corals DO NOT like such intense lighting, so be specific to the critters you choose. You will have to decide on what you are planning to keep and where its going to be placed before buying lighting to suit they're needs. PC lighting has been very successful for me so far. MH will have alot of heat so only consider it if its needed.

Jul 22, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
o ya almost forgot,can i use the media in the filter or must i change some things ?
My tank's filteration is LR,LS and the filter that comes together with the tank i bought.Is this good enough for my tank ?[My tank has a few clownfishes, clean up crew( hermit crab,snails,shrimps ect.)].

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No the media in the juwel internal filter will just fill up with crap and become a nitrate trap. Just pull it all out and use the pump as a powerhead. I reckon they pump 200 litres per hour, so you really need the extra powerhead to keep circulation up.

What is your current equipment list?