Need help in disease thread !" red pimple"

Sep 26, 2009
my goldfish big sparky HAS A RED PIMPLE AT THE END OF HIS BODY. NEAR HIS TAIL ON THE LEFT SIDE, I POSTED A PIC OF IT IN THE DISEASE THREAD, IF SOMEONE CAN LOOK AT IT. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
It sounds like a blood sore where a bit of his tail might have ripped.
It would be very helpful if you told us information about how large your tank is, what kind of fish are in it, and whether or not it is cycled.
You can type this information in your signature so that it is easier for other people to help you. Go to Quick Links at the top and click Edit Signature in the drop-down menu.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I just read your post in the other forum.

"My Goldfish (comet) Sparky, has a red "pimple" sticking out , right before his fin stars . he also has red lines running through his back tail. Sparky is the oldest one in the tank, hes a big guy. we usually change the water (1/2 a tank ) every 2-3 weeks . we recently changed 1 portion of the filter.
what could this pimple be ?hes in a 20 gal hex tank with a smaller comet and a pleco. they have been living together for about 1 year."

My jaw dropped after reading this. Comet goldfish require 100 gallons of water. A pleco requires 55 gallons of water. Most goldfish cannot live with most plecos, as they have different temperature requirements. What type of pleco is it?

Your tank is incredibly overstocked. I am surprised that both of your fish are still alive, to be honest (no offense). What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If you do not own a liquid test kit, please purchase one. Test the water daily and continue to change the water until you reach safe levels. Safe levels are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and between 0 and 20 ppm nitrate. 0 nitrate means your tank is not cycled. Please read about cycling fish tanks.

Your fish has ammonia poisoning. Ammonia poisoning greatly shortens the life span of your fish. They only way to cure this disease is to separate your fish and add your comet to a 100 gallon tank or pond. Add your pleco to a 55 gallon or larger fish tank.

The best thing to do would be to buy two very large tanks or sell both of your fish. Comet goldfish really do belong in a pond and it is unfair to keep such a large fish in such a small space.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2009
the other goldfish (little sparky, as you can see in the pic, the one with more orange coloring,) doesnt have a red pimple. if too much amonia is in the water, why doesnt he have it ? Im not questioning your diagnosis, Im just wondering why big sparky has this ? we do change the water, using poland spring water, and put in cycle .
I agree that they are due for a bigger tank, do you think they will all be able to live in a 100 gal tank ?
I will post a pic of my pleco ( we call him Hoover) , I dont know what kind of pleco he is, maybe you can identify him for me.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
You can put just your comet goldfish in a 100 gallon tank. If you want to place all of your fish in the same tank, it will need to be much bigger than 100 gallons. You will likely need to build a pond to house both of your goldfish. Is Sparky the red and white fish? He looks like a Ryukin to me. Ryukin goldfish require a minimum of 40 gallons of water. If you can afford a 140 gallon tank for those two fish, great. However, your pleco makes things difficult. Most plecos cannot live with goldfish because they require a heated tank while goldfish do not. I would absolutely take all your fish back to the store, cycle your tank, and add the correct number of small fish. If the store will not take your fish, you can sell them on a site like craigslist.org/ or you can give them to friends with fish ponds.
Not all the fish in your tank will show the same symptoms. It's likely that the comet goldfish has a better immune system than Sparky. You need a liquid test kit in order to monitor water parameters. High ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are silent but deadly killers. Please buy a liquid test kit and post your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
If by Cycle, you mean the bacteria in a bottle, that stuff is worthless unless it is refrigerated from the time it ships from the dealer to the time it gets to the store, to the time you bring it home.

This website PlanetCatfish • the online home of aquarium catfishes will help you to find out what type of pleco Hoover is.

Also, you need to change the water every day with that many fish, especially goldfish, in such a small tank. In a well-established 140 gallon tank with two goldfish, you will only need to change the water once every 1 to 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2009
Big sparky is the larger whiter one, he has just alittle orange on his nose. sparky junior is the one with alot of orange. The pimple i told you about --is on big sparky. today we saw what looks like a white fin coming out of the top of the pimple. what is that ?[/B]