need help-my puffer fish doesnt want to eat

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
recently i just bought 4 dwarf puffers.i bought life shrimp,dried worms n flakes to feed them.But somehow they dun wanna touch those kind of food n they keep runnin away when they saw me.all da food will end up suck by da filter pump.they diet about 5days d since da last time i fed them some snails i found at nearby moonsoon drain.Will they die if they didnt eat for too long???:confused:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site! :)

Yes, they'll die if they don't eat for a long time. If you can get some more snails, you can breed them in a separate tank for the puffers. You should try to get some live worms or possibly brine shrimp, or frozen blooodworms. Most puffers won't eat anything dried or freeze-dried, and full-size live shrimp are probably too big for them. Don't forget to remove any uneaten food from the tank after a few hours.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I agree that dwarf puffers will almost always eat frozen bloodworms that is pretty much all mine will touch. They will occasionally eat freeze dried bloodworms, but not very often. You could also try frozen brine shrimp - one of my puffers likes it and the other does not.
You should be able to find either of those foods in most fish stores. You can also check if they sell live worms such as blackworms.
You might also take Lotus' suggesion and breed snails for supplimental diet.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out and Welcome to MFT :)

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
Ohh,thanks man u all man,mine puffer now r willin to eat those live worms,bt i cant gt those bloodworms as my mother doesnt allow me to pt those bloodworms in her refrigerator.Anyway thanks alot man.