Need help transitioning from 1 tank to other.

Kellie

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
I need some advice for transitioning from one tank to another. I am having to put my 46G in storage for a few years and so I'm setting up a 7G to ease my addiction for awhile. I will be using the same gravel, and a few plants from the old tank. Can I squeeze out the old filter into my new tank? I can also take water straight from my old tank and put it in the new one. I want to avoid cycling if at all possible.

Thanks so much for the help!!!*twirlysmi

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
i asked the water question a few weeks ago myself. the old water will do nothing for your cycling, from what everyone tells me the bacteria u need is in your filter media, substrate, plants, etc etc, if you move your filter directly from your 46 to your 7, you should be okay, you might get a mini cycle. this is my opinion based on things ive read on here and questions ive asked, im not an expert. when i did my 10 gallon, i ran my filter in my 55 gallon for a week or so to give it a chance to build up some good bacteria.

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
Yeah, BigDaddy is right from what I read online.

I set up my 10g with a few cups of gravel from my 29g and with the filter media from the old tank also. They're different kinds of filters, so I wrapped the 29's media around the intake of the 10's filter to transfer the floss. All new water, though. It's jump started the process pretty well. Tomorrow will be a week and I think the tank is just about ready. Good luck!

Kellie

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
So I guess my follow up question is, "Will it cycle just by using the substrate, plants and filter or will I need to add some fish from my old tank?" I don't want to jeopardize their lives. I have about 10 days before the old tank has to go into storage.

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
I'd wait for a more experienced opinion on that one.

Personally, I'd be hesitant to just move the fish over for fear of an ammonia spike. After getting mine set up, I brought the ammonia up to 5ppm (using household ammonia) and keep testing to see when it dissipates. Check out Iggy's cycle recipe for more info.

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
when i did my ten gallon, i took the sponge filter out of the 55, put it in the 10 with some dechlor and added my fish. i dont think it will hurt them, just do regular water tests to check your water like you would with any new tank.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
if you put in all 'old' water, substrate, filter media, gravel, etc. you need to have something in there producing waste for the bacteria to 'eat'.

you can 'scape with all old stuff, and you shouldn't go thru a cycle, if you use all stuff, including water, from the old tank. Add fish immediately, and you will be okay.

don't clean anything off...... you may go thru a mini-cycle, but probably not.