need help with a closed loop

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Senor Calfos messageboard on reeef central has a pretty full plan I think.

You're going to have a big external pump pumping back in through another pipe. Which tank is this for, do you have a sump?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well the cheapest 'cheat' is to get a canister filter, and run it with almost no media and then put the return back through a splitter so it returns through 2 or 3 pipes. You thne have a very crude closed loop.
Other versions are more sophisticated versions of this. Drill the tank, water goes straight to a pump, back in through another series of split returns....

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Unless you already have the cannister to try this with it's not worth buying I don't think. I tried using different spray bars to the output of a Fluval that I had and the flow was so greatly reduced it was worthless, even when I tried splitting the output just once into a "V". I guess maybe if you can find a powerful enough cannister, maybe. Many people are incorporating a design like this one by Calfo which Wayne eluded to http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pbh2oret.htm. The pvc is cheap and you just have to get the water pump. I'm thinking about trying this myself when I get some time.

Last edited: