need help with a hood.

eric h

Small Fish
May 26, 2006
hello,

i found a large tank on the side of the road with a sign that said free or trash so i grabbed it, brought it home, and it holds water. it looks home made and has no center brace. so im gonna have a hard time finding a hood can somebody point me in the right direction. 48 length x 23 tall x 18.5 wide its all half inch glass i bet it weighs 100 pounds empty. is it a 75 gallon? not sure if this is in the right section im new to the site if so can a mod please move it thanks

eric

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yup it's almost 90 gals
Liters: 334.7
US Gal: 88.4
UK Gal: 73.6

Does the top of the tank have a rim of plastic on it or is it just glass? If it has a rim like a normal tank then you can make a center brace out of a piece of aluminum and some good epoxy. I had to do this for one of my 55s. Just make sure to sand to locations where the epoxy is going to be applied with a heavy grit sand paper. It won't be the purtiest thing and the lids will sit funny but it works.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
If you aren't going to build a center-brace to fit 2 commonly-available smaller hoods, the cheapest way to get a top on it would probably be to go to your local hardware store, and have 2 pieces of plexiglas cut for it (48"x10" and 48"x6" -that will leave you about 2.5" for filters to enter the tank in the back). You can then connect the 2 with a piano-hinge (also available at hardware store) and have a functioning lid on your tank for about $20.

eric h

Small Fish
May 26, 2006
you guys are great, thanks for all the good feedback. im gonna make a centerbrace for sure and now i know how to do it. after all said and done i gotta figure out what im gonna put in it. any suggestions?

eric h

Small Fish
May 26, 2006
i dont have the budget for a salt water tank but it would be nice. im very new to fish so im not quite sure what a lake tang tank is. what sort of fish.