Need help with a setup

jas

New Fish
Apr 8, 2010
Hey guys,

This is my first post here on this forum, but I have been in the aquarium hobby for 2.5 years now. Since I have started, I have only kept a marine tank and never really ventured into the freshwater stuff...until now....maybe.

My gf and I just moved in together and we have been talking about setting up a tank in the apartment. We want something small, manageable, and aesthetically pleasing. Space isnt really and issue, but she isnt into the idea of a large tank (otherwise I would move my reef in ;)). Sooo, long story short, we found a large glass bottle, about the same size and shape as a 5 gallon drum, and we want to try to turn it into a freshwater tank.

I was thinking we would do some type of a plant that will grow out of the top. I have a lot of experience with keeping mangroves with my reef tank, and I think that once the plant starts to grow, it could create a pretty cool root structure for some very small fish to live in.

My question is, would this be possible to do without having any type of filtration or lighting? We plan to keep it on the balcony of the apartment which gets roughly 6 hours of direct sunlight and the rest of the day in the shade (some light still gets through). We would like to use the glass jar as the aquarium and we wouldnt want a lot of wires, boxes, equipment, etc, out in the open.

Im very familiar with the cycling process of saltwater as well as nutrient export, so if its anywhere near the same, I think it might be ok as far as nutrient levels go. The only major concern I would have with keeping fish inside would be gas exchange because there wouldnt be any type of filtration breaking the surface tension of the water, which means not a lot of oxygen for the inhabitants. I know some fish, like betta's, are ok living in a tank without any type of mechanical filtration. Would manual top offs and water changes be enough to support a small ecosystem like this? or am I way off here?

lmk what you think.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
For the best root structure, you might look into a terrestrial plant that can be grown via hydroponics. I don't know any off hand, but you might google mike senske and look him up at Aquarium Design Group. He does a lot of paludarium work. Otherwise, if you can keep the water below the neck, there are a few floating plants that will work with ease: "red root floater" is one of the most popular. Also, lyramine cardata is a plant that will grow emmersed.

As for fish, I'm afraid you'll be relatively limited in what you can keep without equipment. Betta's will work, and there's nothing wrong with a nice betta. You'll need more oxygen to support much more, which would require equipment with wires. You might also do a substrate with some simple aquatic plants and maybe add some shrimp--there are many really cool varieties available.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
few suggestions-

you could build a base that could house the mechanicals of the tank and have the correct holes drilled in the jar.

also, what are your local temps like, you might not be able to keep fish alive outdoors like that if the temp drops too low.

jas

New Fish
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the responses guys.

Doomhed: I wonder if it would be possible to drill the bottom of this? I may have to give it a try. The only thing is the glass is pretty thick, and I only have experience cutting holes in the sides of small fish tanks that are usually only about a 1/4" thick. i"ll survey it when I get home! Building a nice base out of wood and having 1 or 2 small wires would be perfect for this.

As for temp, im not really worried. I live in SFL, so they'd most likely be seeing temperatures in the high 70's to high 80's. Who knows the way the weather has been lately though.

avalon: thanks for the suggestions. That red root floater looks really cool, ill have to do some research on this stuff as the build has really been the only thing I have though about so far. As for fish, I wasnt planning on putting more than 2 even if I could figure out some type of filtration - I learned my lesson with saltwater ;)

Ill take a look at the setup and report back. thanks again guys

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Just remember that if you put a betta in there, bettas are carnivores and would need to be fed accordingly (I know of too many people who think sticking a betta in a vase with a plant that cuts off the entire surface of the water and provides their only food source is perfectly fine...it's not). Also, bettas are surface breathers, so the plant could not cover the entire top of the water level. Without filtration, I don't know what else you could put in there except a betta (meeting the requirements for food and air that I mentioned above). That being said, if you were able to keep the plant from taking over the entire surface of the water and were able to feed your betta a properly balanced diet, a betta would look incredible in something like that (if a little distorted, since the glass looks like it is a bit uneven and would create quite a bit of distortion).

Jan 5, 2010
vancouver bc
one thing with rounded tanks is if you're looking at it staight on all the fish on the sides become invisible. but because of the size of it you might be okay. one last thing to consider, would you be able to clean it easily?? or would it be too much work?