NEED HELP WITH FILTERS

parrot MAN

Small Fish
Jun 13, 2004
COLORADO
Visit site
will a twtra whisper 40 power filter be efficient for a 29 gal. SW, FOWLR?? also i have a magnum 350 canaster filter in my 125, should i put that on my 29 and get a couple more whispers and put them on my 125. HELP!!! :rolleyes:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
honestly, i would ditch the filter entirely and spend your money on a good HOB skimmer...

biowheels arent particularly good b/c they produce a lot of nitrates, but in a FO you may have success with that

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ultimately the same. They do a good job of getting ammonia to nitrate, but eventually you need to get rid of the nitrate. Skimmers are real popular because they haul out tons of organics before they ever start to turn to ammonia, and so reduce the filter load. Shops will sometimes tell you they're not necassary for FO tanks, but they're a good, good addition.
I think for the 29 salt the whisper 40 will be absolutely hopeless. How many gallons an hour does it shift. In total a number of 10 x tank volume or 300 gallons per hour wouldn't seem unreasonable, or look it. You could always take the magnum 350, use it for biofiltration, and a place to keep carbon, and by arranging the return through a spray bar use it provide water movement.
Once you get your water movement up to scratch you get into a position where your sandbed and liverock are doing your filtration for you, not your 'biofilters'

parrot MAN

Small Fish
Jun 13, 2004
COLORADO
Visit site
the whisper is 180 GPH, and the emperor is 280 GPH, right now i have both hooked up mainly for water movement, i dont really know what a protein skimmer does. could anyone help me. ooh, and i was thinking of hollowing out the whisper, then filling it witk bioballs, what would this do??

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A protein skimmer is a tube in which by various methods tank water and air are mashed together. If the waters clean, it gets well oxygentated, if there are any organic wastes they form a sticky brown foam that floats and grows at the top. This then grows up enough it falls out of the top of the tube and into a collection cup. The advantage it has is that it removes organics from the water before they ever get to the point of being biofiltered out, so reducing the load on your filters, and stopping them starting down the road to nitrates.
Doing that adaption to the whisper will jsut turn it into another style of biofilter.
Note this I wrote earler... ' Once you get your water movement up to scratch you get into a position where your sandbed and liverock are doing your filtration for you, not your 'biofilters''

Have you read about how I setup my 30? Filtration is 30 lbs live rock, a sandbed and water movement, nothing more.