Need Help With Green Tank Water

May 5, 2006
Ok so I bought a 29 Gallon fish tank and unfortunately I didn’t know about this forum and the store where I bought the tank didn’t fill me in on cycling the tank. I added the water and put in the de chlorinating treatment and let it run for a couple of days. Then I put my fish in. After about a week or two the water turned green. I mean really green, as in its hard to actually see that there are fish in the tank. I was told at the pet to just wait it out and it would go away. I am getting worried because it doesn’t seem to be dissipating at all. I change the water every two weeks and the water clears a lil bit but then one or two days later it’s back to green. Now I don’t have the tank in front of a window but it is close to a window. I have two Chinese algae eaters, a platy and two tetras. I have one other fish but I don’t know what it is. It looks like an angelfish. I really need some help in correcting my tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mcsully

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2006
sincityharley said:
Ok so I bought a 29 Gallon fish tank and unfortunately I didn’t know about this forum and the store where I bought the tank didn’t fill me in on cycling the tank. I added the water and put in the de chlorinating treatment and let it run for a couple of days. Then I put my fish in. After about a week or two the water turned green. I mean really green, as in its hard to actually see that there are fish in the tank. I was told at the pet to just wait it out and it would go away. I am getting worried because it doesn’t seem to be dissipating at all. I change the water every two weeks and the water clears a lil bit but then one or two days later it’s back to green. Now I don’t have the tank in front of a window but it is close to a window. I have two Chinese algae eaters, a platy and two tetras. I have one other fish but I don’t know what it is. It looks like an angelfish. I really need some help in correcting my tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
From my experience the problem stems from light. Do you have your tank located directly in sun light? If so, then you need to move it.