Need Help With Identifying...

Hey! My tank is so close to the end of the cycle and i'm starting to look into reserving fizzels.
I went to a shop close by (i never knew exsisted) i was looking around the fish section and something caught my eye, it was right at the back of a tank, and a little bit higher than me, so i couldn't see what it was that clearly, It was definetly one of those "sucker-fish" as i call them, you know that clean the tank, it was a freshwater fish.. It looked black with some sort of white stripe going on from his head to end of tail.. Maybe it wasn't white but i was certainly a light colour. It moved quite fast... sort of in the shape of a cat fish.. and seemed pretty peaceful.. I want to know because i'm really interested into purchasing one! I was going to get an apple snail.. but i'd prefer one of these.
Anybody know what it is?

PS: i can't get a picture.. it's not THAT sort of shop.

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
rafael catfish maybe? they growl when they're mad. :) of course- i wouldn't suggest starting a newly cycled tank with one of those. go for the more hardy fish to start a tank, and i'm not sure if this is a big thing or not, but i don't start out with bottom feeders. and also- i'd say rafael cats get too big for an 8 gallon. i'd stick with tetras and little things like that and a snail. \

the description was a little vague, so i could be totally wrong

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
the problem with an 8 gallon is that nothing really stays that tiny. gold algae eaters are a bit smaller i think, but a snail would be the best bet for an 8 gallon. if you're really into fish though, you probably wont stick with an 8 gallon very long. you'll find that you'll keep wanting to upgrade. :D

btw- rafaels are AWESOME fish. im looking into getting some myself when i get a 55 gallon next year

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
someone already suggested otocinclus in another thread- they stay small but remember you don't want to go crazy putting tons of fish in this tank- they will be uncomfortable. and if you have not yet bought ammonia- you are not close to the end of your cycle.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I 2nd ashleigh's suggestion. Ottos work well for small tanks, but a snail would be best for your tank. You shouldn't add an otto unless your tank has been up and running for a long time and you start getting an algae problem...its very easy to starve them to death.

I also 2nd ashleigh's comment that you are no where close to the end of your cycle.