Need help with some newb questions.

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
1) I was talking with the LPS clerk last night about heaters. He said adjusting the water temp was like a trial and error type of thing. You just turn the dial a little then keep checking the thermometer, turn some more, and so on.

My question is: Do they make a heaters you can just turn to say 78 degrees and it will turn off by itself when it hits that temp? Like your typical HVAC t-stat for your Furnace?

2) Is it possible to use rock types you find in Home Depot. Like could you use flagstone or slate to make something decorative like a cave or something.

3) Are acrylic tanks ok, or should I stick with glass?

4) Whats the difference in a "Bio" filter and a regular filter type?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if these questions a really dumb.

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
# The most common temperature for tropical fish is 78°F. To set your heater to this temperature (or any other desired temperature), begin by turning the control knob so that the knob marker aligns with the starting arrow on the temperature scale.
# After 24 hours, check aquarium temperature using a quality aquarium thermometer and adjust the temperature accordingly. To adjust upward turn the knob to the left (thicker part of the scale). To adjust downward, turn the knob right (thinner part of the scale). The temperature should stabilize in four to six hours.
Just to explain a little more about my first question, heres a quote from some heater instructions. This is what I'd want to avoid.

EDIT: I think I've found the answer. I think this is what I was looking for.

Temp Select Dial Allows easy setting, just dial to the desired aquarium temperature.
http://petco.com/product_info.asp?f...3=&ct1=Heaters+&+Accessories&ct2=Heaters&ct3=

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
#1- YES! The best heaters have this...are completely submersible and you dont have to worry about that temperature yoyo that exists with cheaper heaters. Click it to the right temperature and dont worry about it. Just make sure you get one big enough for your tank. (at least 2 watts per gallon, going over would be better than going under) The silly thing with heaters is that most types aren't any cheaper than the others $wise. You can spend 20 bucks and get the same watt heater of all different qualities. Usually Ebo Jager heaters have a great reputation, as well as Hagen Tronic heaters.

#2 - Most rock is just fine to put in your tank...just be sure to rinse it off really well.

#3 - There's nothing wrong with acrylic tanks. They can scratch pretty easily...but between acrylic and glass usually its easier to find smaller tanks in acrylic and larger tanks in glass. Most people just have a preference one way or the other.

#4 - A filter is a filter. There are different types of filtration in a tank and different types of filters. A bio WHEEL filter is different than an undergravel filter...if thats what you're talking about I'm the wrong person to answer the question because I've never had a bio-wheel and can't really explain its pros/cons. I THINK what you're asking about/hearing about is the biological filtration...which basically is one of the types of filtration. When your water goes through a filter pad that is mechanical filtration, it takes out the big chunks. When your water goes through and gets 'processed' by the beneficial bacteria living in your filter (and all over your tank), that is biological filtration. SO a filter is a piece of equipment, and biological filtration is a process that happens.

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
#3 depends. I had a 5g acrylic, it was cool. I prefer glass. I think the surface is smoother and harder, in case your a re scraping you wouldn't have to worry about scratches. Acrylic is lighter though and my 5g was a bowed front so it looked cool. the whole set-up was close to $50 though (filter and incadescent lighted hood included).

#4 A bio filter is when you build up helpfu bacteria on a sponge type thing and the water passes through it. It filters out the ammonia and I think nitrites- the "natural" stuff. then there is mechanical- which filters out solid matter. Then there is chemical which filters out chemicals and minerals.

you need a bio filter. The sponge used in a lot of filters is the mechanical filter as well. You can just use these things on a smaller/properly stocked tank (in my experience) My father-in law has a 55 or 75 that he does only this in but I think he only has an oscar an one other fish.

chemical filters typically use activated cabon. It is argued that you'll have fabulous crystal water you wouldn't get otherwise. I am not sure where I stand. this filter isn't necessary in MHO, but I have used it and am currently usig it in a newly started tank situation. so we'll see. I think it is just extra money and effort. Potentially the carbon could leech chems back into the water if not properly changed and it could be taking out helpful minerals to plants and stuff.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/filters.htm

there is some reading on filters.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Most was answered well but...

1 - Like froggy said YES, most new age heaters have this, or some form of this.
2 - Usually yes, slate is good i know. A vinegar test can tell you for sure. Drop of vinegar on the rock, fizzy means no good.
3 - Toss up. Acrylic scratches easier but is lighter. I believe its more expensive than glass though. Glass is prob. the easiest to get ahold of and is hard to scratch.
4 - They stated that up there well enough ^ ;)