need help

Oct 10, 2007
New To The Saltwater Thing Its Been About A Month Started With
A 55 Gal Tank With A Canister Filter , Someone Who Gave Me The Tank Also Gave Me His Clown Fish After Transporting , I Let Every Thing Settle For A Week , I Added Some Blue Damsels 4 Of Them They Have Killed Everything There Are Two Left Monday I Added Two Domino Damsels Today One Had No Tail Also There Seems To Be Some Stuff On The Surface Which I Think Is Protein But The Fish Have A Few White Dots Everything Is Dying Need Help

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :)

Does your tank have live rock, or just a filter? Are you measuring salinity, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? If you are, can you post the readings?

It sounds like you've put too many fish in, too fast, and not quarantined any. A fish a month is a better way than 5 or 6 in a month.

The white spots sound like ich. Are they small and look like grains of salt or sugar?

Damsels are not very popular, as they're extremely aggressive, and will kill most peaceful fish, or harass them to death.

Oct 10, 2007
Thanks So What To Do About The Ich And My Water Is Tested Once A Week At My Local Aquarium Store Family Owned Not A Large Chain
They Keep A Weekly Record To Track The Tank And All Is Fine They Say

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
There's a great article about ich here: Marine Ich I suggest you read the whole thing, to get a good understanding of what it is and how to treat it. :)

To be honest, I don't think your local store is doing the best by you if they're selling you that many damsels in a short time. I think you should consider doing your own reasearch and not relying on them.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i doesnt seem like any research was done here at all and sorry to say but all the fish will most likely die...... how much live rock do you have in there?? was it "cured" liverock? its really a good idea to invest in a test kit ...if you wanna be in this hobby its just something your guna have to learn to do ...sorry i dont mean to come off harsh but in salt water aquariums you need to research each fish before you add it and really have a game plan instead of listening to people from your "Local Aquarium Store" since they havnt had the best advice so far

Oct 10, 2007
No Worries You Are So Right They Guy That Gave Me The Tank Had It Up And Running For Many Years With The Live Rock There Is About 20 Nice Size Pcs Looks Great The Only Water From Him I Kept Was Enough To Cover The Rocks In Transport About 5 5gal Buckets Including The Rock In The Buckets Next Question Scince I Live In South Florida The Store Told Me To Remove The Heater My House Never Goes Under 76 They Said The Heater Would Just Cook The Fish Someday When It Goes Bad

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
where in south florida do you live??? i keep my a/c around 76 and my tank never gets lower than 79... i know a few people that drop the a/c down to like 72 at night in that case youll need a heater to help stablize things out a bit