Need Ideas to decorate !! Please ! :D

Seabound

Small Fish
Feb 3, 2006
Hello ... I R newbie ... I'm reading through the FAQs and stickies and such ...

I have a 24 gallon fish tank that I want to use.
I've been thinking and thinking on how to decorate it and can't seem to find how to do so ...

I'd like something original ... maybe around the Simpsons ... or Bleach (anime) or Mario Bros (The original Nintendo game)

It's quite easy to go out and buy some figures because they look cool ... but bringing it all together is another thing ...

anyways ... any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

pictures too ... other than the ones one the forum ... would be great !

thanks

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Lol, an anime based tank... I never thought of that one! I can see it now... a wreaked Evangelion model laying on the bottom... :p

Maybe you could have a few plants for the fish to play in, a large-center rock (not nessesarily to be put dead in the center, but you know, as a center of attention piece), and then you can put figures in and around it. Just make sure you boil them all really well before putting them in.

I hope that helps some ^^

Seabound

Small Fish
Feb 3, 2006
yeah thanks for the info !! ... I'm not too sure on how to proceed if I get items that are not meant for the fish tank ... any things I should not put in ?? ... I was thinking about a Mario Bros. team to make PVC pipes painted ... but I'm pretty sure the fish would not like the paint ... and it would react in the water

Feb 3, 2006
Ireland
What sort of fish are you going to put in the tank? It might be better if you match the figures to the fish. If you use small fish with large figures you will get a better Large to small scale. If you want to go with a mario brothers theme, plant up a small brown platic barrel "donkey kong style" with plants. Maybe have a toad stool "mushroom" (garden ornament ) that looks like its growing out of the substrate in the bottom of the tank. Maybe try using the figure as part of the aeration unit. Have bubble coming of of wario's mouth or something!! There is lots of scope for a tank like this so play around with things. Try anything that wont be toxic.

donkey kong.jpg

Last edited:

Qrystal

Small Fish
Jan 25, 2006
Southern Ontario, Canada
Hmmmm, lego...
I just might have to do a lego-based tank myself one day! Could make all sorts of really cool caves and mazes and towers and -- oh of course there's all those kits nowadays that are themed (although I'd have to say I'm more of a lego purist, I'd by a kit of coloured blocks before any of those kits, unless I had a specific idea of what I'd use such a kit for, e.g. in a fishtank :p)

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Qrystal said:
Hmmmm, lego...
I just might have to do a lego-based tank myself one day! Could make all sorts of really cool caves and mazes and towers and -- oh of course there's all those kits nowadays that are themed (although I'd have to say I'm more of a lego purist, I'd by a kit of coloured blocks before any of those kits, unless I had a specific idea of what I'd use such a kit for, e.g. in a fishtank :p)
i'm with you on the purist thing...but i'm a mega bloks fan...

i have bought a heep for my one-year old...
and i get more out of it than he does...

seabound...
you could use mega bloks/lego for some fantastikk aquascaping...
it would really fit your theme...[boil it all first] ... :)

Qrystal

Small Fish
Jan 25, 2006
Southern Ontario, Canada
I hope you decide to post some pictures! :)

On the subject of decorating, I realized yesterday that a nearby dollar store had a bunch of interesting aquarium friendly things...

- marbles (although some looked suspiciously like they had some kind of coating on them, I'd avoid those)
- those rounded glass lumps that look like flattened marbles, all sorts of colours
- river rocks of all sorts of collections of colours (i.e. shades of yellow, red, grey, white, "stripe" which looks kinda greenish with yellow stripes)

(I bought some of the rocks.)

Qrystal

Small Fish
Jan 25, 2006
Southern Ontario, Canada
My curiosity got the better of me, and I browsed through a few threads on lego before finding THE definitive Lego Thread (FYI! :))

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4486&highlight=lego

Oh me, oh my, I'm developing MTS.. I need more tanks, I don't even have fish in my first one yet and I'm already planning the next TWO!! (one small betta tank as living loveliness in a spacious bathroom, complete with pink plant and dark blue betta to match the pink and navy of the rest of the room ... and something, somewhere, someday, somesize, with lego decor. Yippee!)