Need info on starting a new tank w/ Mollies ?

Oct 21, 2005
Someone once gave me info on a really fast method of starting up a new tank using Mollies but I lost it. If anyone has this info and can pass it along I would appreciate it. Thank you

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Some people like to break in a tank with mollies which have been acclimated to salt water. This gives you the benefit of starting with inexpensive fish and get used to maintaining salinity and pH on not-so-sensitive fish. Although safer, you don't achieve much marine experience this way.

If you buy mollies for your saltwater tank, you can acclimate them by dripping saltwater into the bag over a period of 6-8 hours, removing some water when the bag gets too full. Slowly increasing the salinity gives the mollies time to get used to their new environment. You can keep the mollies in the tank after it cycles, but any aggressive fish with continually harass the passive mollies.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I don't recomend using fish to cycle your tank, as it will cause great stress on the fish.

How about letting us now a little more about your plans for the tank? ie. Fish only, Fish w/Live Rock, Mini reef etc...

IMO Live Rock is the way to go and I think every SW tank should have LR in it whether you want corals or not.