Need reef tank 101!!

Apr 13, 2009
I started out and bought a 36x18x16.5 40 gal tank to make a reef system. i have since decided to make that my refugium and sump tank. figured if i was gonna spend the money i might as well get the tank i want slowly piece by piece with a lot of d.i.y. included. i have bought the glass and just got done with my silicone war of building my new 60x24x20 (l.w.h.) aprox 125 gal.. $150 in glass really beat the lfs prices. in process of new diy tank stand and converting old 40 gal to refugium. I have done all the reading i can stand, so i figured i would ask ppl with experience and make my set up easier without all of the guessing what would work and not. With this being my first reef tank, i am kinda lame on all subjects and i have a lot of questions for whoever will be willing to reply and help.

sump.. my water will be traveling up aprox 5 feet.. how big of a pump would i need, and how much water should i be moving, gallons per hour?

refugium.. what kind of media do i need in there? have seen everything from live rock to mud and algae.. Guessing this is kinda up to the owner by all the differences i have come across. Any suggestions on what seems to work best or better? Plan on a 3 compartment with compartment 1 water coming in over ammonia pouches, carbon pouches then foam. comp 2 being the refugium with my ??? then comp 3 sump. With that do i need a protein skimmer? If yes, how big?

lights.. getting it that MH's are the best, but they are pricey.. any other lights that i could use to get same results but cheaper price, PC's? what would cover all my bases for whatever creatures i get and promote the proper growth lighting?

live rock... do i have to buy the so called Fiji, Marshall or Tonga cured/uncured rock to get a good look to my reef? My lfs carries some good looking rock with mushrooms and good coloring starting to bloom? Roughly the same price when i include shipping. Dont think the lfs would doop me intentionally but you never know.

Think thats all for now, anything you could add or help with would be greatly appreciated!!!