Need some advice

I just got 2 kissing and 2 dwarf gouramies (spelling?) and they all run to the back corner of the tank. I think maybe this is because their scared, so in a few days it might get better. Also, I heard Dwarfs are peaceful fish, while kissers are semi-agressive, but it's my dwarf that chases the kissers. is that normal?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Well, the good news is that they are probably just adjusting to their new environment.

The bad news is that the kissing gouramis are going to need a new home. They get to around 10 inches, so will need a really big tank, unless you can take them back to the store (which I would recommend).

Gouramis in general tend to be aggressive to other gouramis and bettas. As the kissing gouramis grow, the dwarfs may be in for a hard time, even being picked on until the die :(

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Keeping a fish in a smaller container that it requires is cruel and leads to stunted growth and makes them increasingly susceptible to disease. It's really not much different than keeping a child in a closet. Sure, they grow older, but never thrive. Do yourself and your kissers a big favor... return them to the store.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Well the people at the petstore don't know what they're talking about. In fact, most of them don't.

The fish WILL grow too large for your tank. Lotus is correct, you will *need* a bigger tank or you will *need* to bring the kissing gouramis back to the store. Otherwise, they will either die or become deformed and stunted.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Bring the pink kissing back, its part of good fishkeeping to know when to bring a fish back.

Most LFS will let you trade for other fish... so just consider it an adjustment instead of feeling like your giving something up.

A bigger tank will not fix the problem unless its a supremely large tank, and even then you will be extremely limited in what fish you can have with those two kissing gouramis.

Hey, we all have done this at one point in our fishkeeping lives, buying too many or too large a fish to fit into our current tanks, hoping we can get a bigger tank in the near future. I call it 'Big Tank Syndrome'.

Fish do not 'stop' growing because of tank size... but poor space and water conditions will slow it down, but is that the kind of fishkeeper you want to be?

I think you want to be a good fishkeeper, otherwise you would not have asked the question.

Call the fish store, tell them you want to trade your fish in for something else and then bring them in.

Personally, I like Cory Catfish and perhaps some otto algea eaters to keep the tank cleaner.