Need some advice

Apr 12, 2006
I am fairly new to the hobby and have a 55gal with a red tail shark and 6 tiger barbs.... I am not sure what else to get, I really can't make a decision. Any suggestions for fish that would be compatible with what I already have??
I like the ghost glass cats but I'm not sure if they are compatible.

harrythek said:
I am fairly new to the hobby and have a 55gal with a red tail shark and 6 tiger barbs.... I am not sure what else to get, I really can't make a decision. Any suggestions for fish that would be compatible with what I already have??
I like the ghost glass cats but I'm not sure if they are compatible.
You should be fine with the glass cats. Get yourself at least four...and have a couple floating plants and a good current in there, as they are river fish.

You can also get yourself some loaches...either khuuli or yoyo. Get at least three of whichever you choose. Myself, I have both, and find the yoyos are more active, though the khuulis get bigger.

I'd throw three or four oto cats in there as well...to keep your tank algae free, and maybe a snail or some shrimp.

SkwidsLair said:
You should be fine with the glass cats. Get yourself at least four...and have a couple floating plants and a good current in there, as they are river fish.

You can also get yourself some loaches...either khuuli or yoyo. Get at least three of whichever you choose. Myself, I have both, and find the yoyos are more active, though the khuulis get bigger.

I'd throw three or four oto cats in there as well...to keep your tank algae free, and maybe a snail or some shrimp.
i dont think anyone should "throw" anything into the tank, and glass cats are huge i assure you. i think skwid is thinking of glass tetras.....

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think if it were my tank I'd refrain from adding any fish that is at all in the 'fragile' category (anything that moves slow or has long fins or is stressed out/scared easily). TB's and the RTBS are pretty tough guys...they go well with fish like Danios that can take care of themselves :) I'd be careful of adding anything in the lower level of the tank like loaches because the RTBS gets more territorial and more grumpy as it gets bigger and older.

The tank might be long enough to get a pleco or a group of corydoras, either of those would probably be fine even as the RTBS gets older, as long as each of them have their own hiding places, caves, driftwood something.

SO lets see...with those inches...I'd probably get a few more tiger barbs (same size as the ones you have) and a group of about 6-8 zebra danios (not the long finned kind) and either a pleco or some corydoras, something that adds up to another 6-10 inches or so would be good. Oh and an apple snail because every tank needs one ;) Just remember no matter what you get you need to add them a few at a time so your bacteria can catch up to the extra load.

If your tank isn't cycled (or you dont know what that means) then I dont think you should get anymore fish right now...but you should get some test kits if you dont already have some and read around the boards a little more and wait for your tank to cycle :)

andym

Small Fish
Jun 2, 2006
The important thing even in a cycled tank is to add new fish slowly.
I do think barbs would be better Striped barbs are nice as are Pentazona barbs and Lemon barbs.
But i have to say we have a Albino red tailed shark (albino version of yours)he's huge in a tank with Corys Small neons and Penguin tetras White clouds and at one point pencilfish (died of old age) although shark is assertive ive never seen him goe for another fish.
it depends how aggresive shark is when there young they chase other fish for fun i really dont think they mean any harm but in ours he grew out of it.
Problem is fish are individual i wouldnt nescasarily say it would work with your Red tail.