NEED SOME ADVICE

Nov 16, 2006
HELLO, I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND TO MY NEW FOUND INTEREST IN TADPOLES. I HAVE COLLECTED A TON OF TADS FROM A SMALL MANMADE POND NEAR MY HOUSE. I THOUGHT THEY WOULD FREEZE BEING AS THEY HAD NO PLACE REAL TO HIBERNATE? SO NOW I'VE GOT 2 TANKS...1 FOR THE TINY FROGLETS AND 1 WITH MY TADS ( HAS AIRFLOW) TADS ARE DOING GREAT BUT MY TINY FROGLETS...? WELL I HAD PLACED AN ORDER FOR FOOD BUT WONT GET HERE TIL WEDNESDAY. I LOST A FEW, BEEN PUTTING DRIED BLOODWORMS IN THE FROGLET TANK . THE BIGGEST ONES ARE STILL ALIVE. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE SO I DONT LOOSE ANYMORE BEFORE MY FOOD ARREIVES? SO THANKFUL. BARB DEMPSEY

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I don't know much about frogs either...but I'm going to assume they would probably need a cycled tank to survive. Make sure you are changing a good amount of their water daily, and get your water parameters checked if you can.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
The tadpoles would have been perfectly fine in the manmade pond. I suspect your tadpoles did not die from hunger, but from shock. tadpoles are pretty sensitive. Has your tank been cycled? Did you acclimate them before putting them in the tank?

I suggest finding out what species of frog are common in your area so that you can ID them. Like fish, different species of frogs will eat different things.

Most tadpoles will do fine with just algae. Perhaps you can go back to the pond and grab some rocks that have some algae on it (or put a few rocks in a bucket wtih water outside in teh sun for a few days and grow your own). you can also give them finely crushed flake food or fry food (like SERA mircron) can be given to them.

when they become juvenile frogs, you'll want to switch to pinhead crickets (and larger crickets as the frogs get bigger).