Need some aquarium veterans advise on setting up a 160 gallon freshwater tank

Nov 14, 2005
I know you guys hate newb questions, but I'd like some advise...I've read threw the forums and have gotten your general ideas for setting up a new tank but nothing too specific. I have aquired a 160 gallon tank and stand and that is it. I am trying to decide on what to purchase for a pump and their seems to be 100s of options out there and things(for lack of a better word) that u MUST HAVE in a tank. keep in mind that I am an extreme newb. There seems to be aerators that have filters for under the gravel or circulation pumps? I've read that wet/dry pumps work best from some. Others recommend canistor filters. When reading some forums that explain the pumps it states that they are also aerators? Im just not sure what I need to purchase to set up this tank.
Due I need those tray setups underneath to aerate the water? or can I just put the gravel in? Which pump would you recommend to a beginner, that wouldnt need too much maintance a week? I've read on these forums I should use a heater. Which heater do u recommend for my tank? Do I need seperate pumps, biowheels, etc..? Is there an all in one option? I dont plan on getting any large fish, I would like several small fish of several species, maybe even some crabs or crawlfish. I figure alot of u have done alot of trial and error and maybe could start me off in the right direction. thanks...*celebrate

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
I have used a penguin filter for 4 yrs with no problem. It has bio-wheels built in and baskets behinde the filter for adding activated carbon. You want to have some aeration, the bubble curtian typs are the most attractive in my opinion, and they do a fine job of circulating the water and assisting the filter in doing its job. I would not get an undergravel filter as i have heard that they plug up often and are high maintenence. One thing you need to think about is that a 160 tank with gravel and water is going to weigh in excess of 1000 lbs! If you set up next to an exterior wall that is supported by foundation you might be alright, but i would brace it anyway. Floor braces are easy to install and cost about 15 bucks and are well worth taking the precaution.

Also you might try posting on the equipment forum.

Last edited:

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
We don't hate newbie questions, at least I don't :p I'd rather you ask, then not ask and kill fish unneccsesarily. Anyways, I've got a Penguin 350 filter with a bio-wheel and I love it. It's very quiet and easy to maintain. I would definitely stay away from the undergravel filters though, they are noisy and you have to have about 4" of gravel to keep live plants. Basically it all depends on what type of fish you are going to keep and if you want live plants or not. Does the tank have a hood with lights, and if so do you know how strong they are? Do you plan on keeping live plants? With a tank that big I would suggest a couple of schools of tetras, some cory cats and a showcase fish such as a gourami or angelfish. You could probably even get away with about 6 angelfish and they may pair up and spawn. Depends on what kind of fish you like. Do some research, determine what fish you like and get back to us. Then we can help you determine if they can live together and how many you should get. A good book is "The simple guide to freshwater aquariums" by David Boruchowitz. It tells you everything you need to know about fishkeeping and even has some stocking suggestions in the back. Good luck and keep us posted ;)

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Wow, what are the dimensions of the tank?

With a tank that large you will at least want canister filters. Your expected bioload and stocking choices will determine how much water you want to be turning over (gph) Don't bother with undergravel filters, they're more trouble than they're worth -- even tho most aquarium books discuss them at length, there are much better choices these days.

Bubbles are fun and can be attractive but not neccessary imo and are not recommended with CO2 injection if you go that route with your plants.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
For a tank that size, I would expect to drop around $200 into filtration.

For a tank that size you're looking at running 2 filters. Depending on your layout, I would consider either a pair of large canisters (Like Fluval 404s or Magnum 350s) or 1 canister and 1 HOB (Hang On/Over [the] Back) like one of the bio-wheel based filters mentioned above.

The other thing you've going to need to worry about is heaters. I'd go with 2 heaters, one on either side of the tank. I'd go with a pair of either 250w or 300w, depending on the average temp of the room.

And don't forget to fishless cycle. ;)

Welcome to the hobby! If you can get past the budget constraints, you've picked a great size tank to start with. Bear in mind that a lot of people want to put big fish in big tanks... I would encourage you to continue with your plan of going with large shoals of smaller fish... often the effect is even more stunning.

~JW

Nov 14, 2005
..I am not going to keep any live plants I dont believe. I really like the white tip cats, maybe some barbs or tetras, maybe some shrimp or crawfish and a plecos or 2 for the algea?. I was thinking about going with one of the magnum 350 pro kits which include a biowheel. Do I just need 1 kit or should I go with 2, 1 at either end of the tank? instead of doing the undergravel tray kits, maybe going with just a bubblewand across the back of the tank? I read somewhere that a good heat source should be 3-5 watts per gallon. So I was thinking of putting 1 250 watt heater at either end?(I keep my house around 70 - 74 fyi). Maybe some basic decorations on the bottom. A couple of bubbling decorations, a rock or 2, some dark gravel. Not sure about cool background scenes(any links to websites containing them or ideas would be great) Any suggestions on the fish, something I might be missing, or maybe a design for a better setup. Personally I like the smaller brighter fish. Any help is greatly appreciated as none of it is set in stone with me yet. I am hoping to do this right the first time. Also if anyone has a great INEXPENSIVE site to buy this stuff, it would be a great help..:D

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The most inexpensive sites to buy equipment at are the one that Jwright linked to www.drsfostersmith.com and www.bigalsonline.com I haven't personally delt with the first one, but I've been impressed with bigals prices, selection and customer service.

I agree that with a tank that big you ought to go with two filters...if you can afford two canister filters I would probably go that route, but if not a canister and a hob would be fine. As long as you have some surface agitation coming from somewhere you dont need to get any bubble decorations or bubble walls if you dont want to. If you want to more power to ya...just be sure you get a nice big air pump because it takes quite a bit of pressure to run a lot of tubing. Its also one more thing to plug in and I dont know about your electrical situation but so far I see 2 filters, two heaters and the lights which is already 5 plugs!

Best advice I can give right now is do more research...you can never do enough. (ok sure at some point you just have to jump in and do what you think is best...) Start with getting your filters and heaters ordered, then just decide on gravel or sand for a bottom layering on the tank, substrate. (If you decide on sand make sure to do a lot of research on that before putting it in the tank) and then read up on cycling. Trust me...if you decide to do a fishless cycle then you'll have a month or so to decide what fish you even want to put in the tank. With a 160 you have SO many options for fish...I am SO jealous!

Nov 14, 2005
A couple more questions I've been looking at that bigalsonline and noticed the laser decorations. That seems like a sweet idea. Has anyone used these and did they turn out as well as u thought? Also in finding the backgrounds, is there any sites that offer many to pick from or have any of you designed or made one yourself that looked nice? Have any pics u could POST??? The only place I have for this tank is right inside the house as you walk in so I would like it to look fairly nice. thanks for all your suggestions guys..*BOUNCINGS

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
It might be wise to start off with at least the 300 watt heaters. There is not much difference in price between a 250 watt and a 300 watt heater at Big Al's - much less than the price of a 3rd heater would be and that still only gives you 3.75 watts/g. If the fish you choose need warmer water, you'll need even more.

I have 600 watts (3 x 200 watt) of heaters in my 120g; 2 x 200watts were not enough to keep the water temp constantly at 78 in the winter. My thermostat is set at 72 degrees.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hi oneguyinfl & welcome to the tank.

I have a 200 gallon tank system, which I use as a winter tank for my goldies, and a breeder tank for oscars during the summer. In my case, I use dual overflow filters into a sump, but my tank is designed for it.

In your case, I would install two (2) Rena XP3 canister filters on both ends. They are very, very good filters, easy to clean and very efficient.

Then, I would install two 200w Ebo-jager heaters, one on both ends if you plan on having a tropical tank. I suggest two because they will work less hard, and last longer than one single heater on all the time.

Those bottom-plate thingys are called undergravel filters, you don't need one when you use canisters.

I would not rule-out the option of eventually adding live plants to your tank, its something most enthusiats like to do after they learn the basics.

I would consider using a sand-substrate, its cheap and looks the best. I wouldl also use a lot of rocks (lace rock is nice) and plastic plants to fill in the tank.

If your case, with a sand bottom, this is what I would suggest you stock your tank with AFTER you do a fishless cycle (there is an article/recipe you can use)

16 cory cats - either bronze, albino, or any other. With cories, the more you add, the more active (and entertaining) they are.
18 Glolite or Neon Tetras - glolites are hardier, but neons are more popular. A large school will give you an amazing effect.
4 to 5 Otto's - for Algea Control
1 Red-Finned Shark - grow to 5 inches, lots of personality, but get only 1 or they will fight.
2 or 3 gouramies, a top level feature fish, like a blue, pearl or even gold variety.
another option is 4 or 5 some bala sharks instead of gouramies.

The idea is that it's better to have less variety but larger schools of fish so you get the natural behaviours that just a mix and match of everything.

Oh, I would also suggest you avoid Oscars, Plecos or any other large-bodied tropical - you have enough room, but they will really limit your options in the future if you get them now.