Need some help identifying worms.

Aug 10, 2007
Lubbock, TX
Just bought a 40g tank, bought live rock, and now I am finding worms. two different species so far. One of them appears to be the ever-so-common bristleworm, and I have yet to identify the other. I'm not sure about the length yet, but he is doing a great job of tunneling along the walls of the tank, leaving tunnels behind him. He is half brown and half white. The brown end is segmented and retracts, and the white end has what looks like feelers on it. So far, he is about 2 inches long. Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Aug 10, 2007
Lubbock, TX
Worms

Don't think its a peanut worm. I've looked at several pictures of them online in my search. The diameter of this thing is about the size of a toothpick. I've been sitting in my living room in the dark for 3 hours now waiting for him to come out, but no luck. I'll work on snapping a picture. On a side note, this is my first salt tank. I bought live rock from a buddy, but I don't really know if it was any good or not, so I went to my LFS and bought about 6 more lbs of live rock, pretty healthy looking with good purple coralline algae growth. How long should it take for the good algae to spread to the other rocks? I'm really shooting for a uniformly colored reef here. Also, is there any way to speed up the process of bacterial (nitrobacter) growth?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
By the way, welcome to the site :D

Try this link for worm IDs: Worm Hitch Hikers

The coraline growth depends on a number of factors. As long as you keep your calcium within normal range (380-450 ppm), then you should see some growth. It can take months for it to really get going.

There's really no good way to speed up the cycle. You'll just have to have patience, and let nature do its thing :)

Aug 10, 2007
Lubbock, TX
worms

I appreciate the warm welcome!

The Worm HitchHikers Website was very informative, but I couldn't manage to find anything close to what I've got in my tank. I managed to catch a smaller version of the same type, but my digital camera apparently isn't up to the task of underwater photography. I opted to attempt a drawing in MS paint of what he looks like. (not drawn to scale) He's about 1/3 of an inch long.

Also, What kind of calcium supplements are available to promote coralline algal growth?

Attachments

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Oh, if it's got those little horns on it, it's either a nudibranch or possibly a stomellata snail -- at least those would be my best guesses.

There are some good pics here: Melev's Reef - Visual Identification

If it's a nudibranch, there are gazillions of different species, and it can be quite a challenge to find out what you have. Some are fine, some will eat corals. Usually the coral-eating ones have "frills" on them, though. Most nudibranches eat only one type of food -- one specific coral or sponge or whatever.

Hopefully, it's a stomellata snail :)

Edit: On the supplement, I use a two-part supplement called B-Ionic to keep calcium and alkalinity up. You should always test before adding them, though. :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2007
Lubbock, TX
Well, Its not any type of snail or a nudibranch, definitely a worm. I noticed today that it has a tentacle that is at least twice its body length that it extends out of its burrow to skim for food. That kind of reminds me of a spaghetti worm, but it really doesn't look like one. If it is a spaghetti worm, should I keep it or get rid of it?