Need Some Help.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I have two tanks. One is 55 gallons the other is 10. I believed and thought they both are cycled. The ammonia was high in the 10 gallon tank on the strip it said .25 and
the nitrites/nitrates read in the normal range.

The 55 gallon everything read right where it was suppose to be.

In the 10 gall I have/had 3 corys, 3 tetra (black skirt) and 2 ottos. I was told that was ok by petsmart.

This morning one of the corys in the 10 gallon died :( so I took back tp Petsmart and they gave me another one. I put that one in my 55 gallon instead of the 10 gallon.

Now I can't find one of the other corys in the 10 gallon I am afraid he didn't make it either but not sure where he is.

What should I do? Should I move the solo cory from my 10 gallon to my 55 gallon? (I know they like to be together)

In my 55 gallon I have 10 danios, 3 ottos, 4 corys and 3 mollies.

Also what is the deal with water changes? I get so confused. Petsmart tells me NOT to do them because it makes it worse for the fish and people here say DO do the water changes.

I am so confused. :confused:

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
If you've got ammonia you should definitely do a WC to decrease the concentration of ammonia. I am not an advocate of a lot of WCs, so this really means something coming from me:)

If the tank is still cycling, then water changes will extend the length of the nitrogen cycle, but with fish in there during the cycle, it is absolutely necessary to do the water changes until the cycle completes and ammonia and nitrite levels drop to ZERO.

AmmoLock can be used to "neutralize" the ammonia, converting it to a somewhat less poisonous compound called ammonium. It will convert the ammonia to the less poisonous form, but your ammonia test will still register the ammonia level as it detects the ammonium as well.

Unless your tap water is EXTREMELY different than the tank water (parameter-wise), then the fish will generally enjoy the water change, or at the very least, not dislike it.

A lone cory is a sad cory, put him with his friends.

Last edited:

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
ah now it's a different ballgame altogether. The choice is yours. And remember, it's not like the fish will die if they are living alone. It's just that they will not exhibit their natural behavior when kept alone.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Ok the Corys in the 10 gallon tank don't look to happy, if I move them over to my 55 g tank I would want another bottem feeder fish any suggestions? I have done the suggestions and wouldn't add any fish right now.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Hoping someone can help.

I tested the water in my 55 gallon tank for ammonia and it was really high. No wondered why my fish weren't swimming :( So I did a 45% water change and tested it again and there was little to no change. The fish are swimming and acting fine now where as before they weren't, my tank has been up and running about 7-8 weeks now.:dunno:

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
No- just keep doing water changes- ammolock is just something places like petsmart market to people who are new. It sounds likd a good product, but removing ammonia through water changes is really the best way to go. test strips can give you off readings too, you might want to buy a liquid test kit. Your 55 is pretty lightly stocked so I'm surprised you have high ammonia, are you using dechlorinator with your water changes? Can you tell us a bit more about how you set up your tank, etc. When you say the fish don't look happy- what kinds of behaviors are you seeing taht make you say that? droopy fins, rubbing on the rocks, etc?

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
The fish are just hiding and not swimming the way they were and sometimes the would swim sporatically back and forth. I have fake plants and driftwood with a bunch of hiding places. I am using the declorinator and I also test my tap water for ammonia and none there. I have the liquid drops tester as I read they were better and cheaper too :). I am going to test again here in a little bit.

I notice the fish today are still swimming normally as oppose to what they were last night before I did the water change.

ETA: I have 2 ottos an 5 corys total so my sig is a tad off.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Hm. So they are doing better now? I have to admit, I don't know why it would have been so high. I know you said petsmart told you water changes were bad (total crap. don't listen to that guy :) ) - so had you not been doing them for the eight weeks you had you rtank going? when did you start?

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I was doing them but not as oftenas I should have I guess. I just tested ammonia again and it doesn't read any less then it did the very first time I tested it

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
My ultimate goal would be to move my 3 tetras and 2 ottos from my 10 gallon and place in my 55 gallon and take down the 10 gall all together but I will wait and move them slowly

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
You could put them in all at once if your tank is cycled but you are doing the right thing by waiting until your 55 problem is solved. I'm sorry I can't be of more help- hopefully someone brighter than I wll be along soon. :)