Need Some Help

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I have having an issue. (As usual! lol.) My tank has been set up now a few weeks and I cant get rid of the cloudiness for the life of me. It is not a real bad cloudiness but it is enough. About a week ago for a couple of days the water was clear.When I test the water everything is fine exept when I test for ammonia it turns a funny color that is not on the card. I repeated the test a few times to make sure that I doing it right, and I am. I have used the ammonia lock in my tank and I read somewhere that FroggyFox said it will mess with your testing. My fish dont seem to be stressed and they eat evertime I feed them. Should I just do a full water change and get rid of the ammonia lock? I have been doing small water changes every other day for a bout a week now. Could I still be cycling? And what do I do about the ammonia testing thing? Please help!
guppy_newbe

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
if i had a dollar for everytime this type of question has been asked...lol...stop using chemicals let the tank cycle properly the water will clear up...it could take well over 1 month to get established maybe even 2...just do the weekly water changes and filter cleans...it will get better...dont do w.c every other day let the tank cycle

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Most chemicals don't help your tank and sometimes do more harm than good. The only chemical I use in my tank is dechlorinator (sp?). I'm not sure what the cloudyness is from, maybe the ammonia lock or possibly a bacteria/algae bloom. Is it white cloudy or green cloudy? The green would mean an algae bloom.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
It is a white cloudy. The only reason that I asked this (cause I know about cycling) is because it was clear and then it went cloudy. I have stopped using the chemicals. So it is just still cycling? Should I still use Cycle to help it?
guppy_newbe

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
no dont use anything let it run its course....its not unusual for a tank to start off very clear then all of a suden get cloudy....just do weekly 25% w.c with grAvel cleans and filter media cleans..it will clear up...do you have fish in there already

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yep...that cloudyness is common in a new tank. Just wait it out and dont do anything drastic. Most things you're trying to "make it go away" will just make it worse or make it reoccur again. Just get your maintenance routine down of cleaning once a week and changing your 30% a week or whatever you do. Give it a few months and one day it'll magically be crystal clear :)

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
MY TANK IS CLEAR!!! YEAH!!! lol. I did my first 50% water change yesterday. (Cause I remeber someone saying to it once every so often, When I woke up this morning and turned on the light IT WAS CLEAR!!! Thanks for the help ya'll, I would have gone crazy with this thing if it werent for this website that I stubbled upon.
guppy_newbe