Need Some Help

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok so Im really thinking about starting seahorses and Ive been looking around but I cant find any plants that will do ok in the conditions the seahorses need. (slow current) and I dont want high maintenance plants or ones that need high light (I do plan to have decent lighting but nothing really special). Anyone know of any other sites that sell marine plants besides liveaquaria.com and vividaquarium.com??

Basically Im trying to figure out some things for them to grasp. I dont think Gorgonian is the answer as its kinda hard to take care of.

Also is it true that you cant get Tonga Branch live rock anymore???

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Not sure about the tonga branch live rock but have you checked out some places in Florida that sell sea grass. There are a few that are perfect for seahorses. I think there used to be a really good thread on another site....ooops sorry mods, that dealt with keeping seahorses.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
My LFS keeps seahorses and uses 'basic' sticks, or at least they seem to just be sticks. otherwise not much in the tank. GRANTED this is the LFS and we as fish keepers do not keep our tanks as sparse as the LFS store!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Seagrass is definitely popular.

I know there's a list of vendors stickied in the Reef Central plants/macroalgae section. You could also try the buy/sell/trade sections there. Also, maybe check out some of the lagoon tanks in that section. I hate to send people over there, but I don't think we have a whole lot of members with macroalgae tanks here. I have plans for one eventually, but I'm not quite ready. :)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think it was a thread on Aquaria Central. One of the mods there went and built an extensive seahorse tank and it had tips on feeding etc.....I will try and find it and post the thread link when I find it.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I don't see why not, along with some turtle grass should be great. You know that the substrate needs to be silty then more like miracle mud than sand......

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok so we are thinking about doing a couple different kinds of Macroalgae. Which out of this would be best. (FYI - This tank is a 44G Pentagon, so its very tall and has a fairly small foot print).

Caulerpa
Gracilaria (red and this is one of my favorites)
Manatee Grass
Turtle Grass
Ulva

Im thinking like 3 different ones.

What do you think???