Need Some Lighting Help

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok well I thought that I had this figured out after talking to Mushroomman but....This is the first light that I had decided on: Reef Aquarium Lighting: Outer Orbit HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Fixture
And this is the one that I am now thinking about doing: Metal Halide Reef Aquarium Lighting: Aqualight Advanced Series HQI Metal Halide Fixture

Now for the story:
Its a 48" inch long tank and only 15" tall (60G). My reasoning for upping my light is that I was told that my Anneomies are bleached and the number one reason is lighting. I want to try and save them. I currently have a canopy that is my reason for the first choice in light. However in order to get this light I have to wait at least two months maybe longer. MM was telling me about easing into stronger lighting. It would be difficult doing that with this light. He also told me that if I went with a pendant light that it was going to be cheaper. After looking around I decided that my canopy is salvageable to save money and corals. Then I decided to get the second light. Next Friday I can buy 2 of the clip on light and then in a month or two I can get a third one. What do ya'll think???

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
From what Ive seen the clip ons they are pretty much just a pendant but with clip on instead of hanging capabilities (someone please correct me if Im wrong) If they are anything like my 150 (bright enough to almost light up the whole tank if put in the middle, 4 ft long tank like yours) 2 of them, 1 on each side should do the job. Make sure your canopy is either really open like in the back, or has a way of putting fans in because those lights will heat things up a bit. As far as potential shock from going from pc to mh, personally Id just adjust those lights as far away from the top of the tank as you can.

See if anyone else has any ideas/input.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay this is too surreal. I have the outer orbit that you were going to buy and have been thinking of selling it to buy two of the clip on ones......maybe a 3rd.......I was going to put my light out there to gauge interest someone buying it...it is 6 months old.....I have just replaced both pc's and have 2 spares along with a spare 150w mh hqi bulb.......the reason I was thinking of changing was that the clip on are 20,000k 150w which sound like the ticket.....

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
Hey lorna do you just want the color of the 20k? I'd be nervous of the clamp malfunctioning and the lamp dropping in the tank. I've never owned one but I've had things on plastic hinges like that before and they have always failed for me.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I'm pretty sure Coralife has that figured out (probably metal screw/countersinks), as I've not heard of a complaint about that. The only other clip on I know is JBJ's K-2 Viper, and it slips...badly.

Jess, for the lights, I don't like the outer orbits cause they only go to 150, but your case is perfect for this. Plus you'd get the whole dawn/day/dusk/moon effect. I really like the look of the Aqualights though...so, tough choice.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Yes the screws are pretty stable I have seen these lights on a 75 at the lfs I go to and they are super......the orbit also has 2 x 130 w pc's and pack a big ight punch. The only problem I have with it is that it is very heavy and I need help to take it off and on when I need to do any work. I need to figure out how to suspend it but I have a cathedral ceiling and can't hang it.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
wow if I weren't of a fish buying budget and banned from buying any fish/equipment etc I would be on the same band wagon and on my way to buy two too. Geek let us all know what you think I would like an honest opinion and I know I will get one from you.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't think it matters a toot re hanging a pendant from the roof rather than having it clipon. You can also get MH and pc fixtures that use legs that rest on the tank sides. I itnhk that any of these are better than trying to cram MH into a hood where things to do with heating tend to be a problem. You also get the extra of being able to look down into your tank.
I don't see why you'd need more than 2 MH over 4 feet, and 150 HQI will be plenty of light for most anything. Also I am not sure why Laura is swapping the whole fixture rather than just buying a new bulb in the colour she likes. The only proviso then is getting the right bulb, which is easy if you know the ballast type.

What are you feeding the nem's, and how often?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
My anenomies are eating many different things. The Clown feeds them when he eats mysis shrimp, ocean plankton, cyclopeeze, and there is probably something that I am forgetting. I also feed them krill and silversides every week.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Geek try feeding your nems a silverside every couple of days provided that they will take it....don't force it.

Wayne, I can't hang a pendant as it would look silly with 20' chain hanging from the ceiling. I am already changing out the halides to 20K with new bulbs. The reason I would go with clip ons rather than a fixture on legs which I have is that this light is extremely heavy and takes two people to move it off and on for any maintenance. Unless someone has another way of positioning the light?????

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
'The reason I would go with clip ons rather than a fixture on legs which I have is that this light is extremely heavy and takes two people to move it off and on for any maintenance.' - wow - that is heavy - all in one ballast fixture I assume, now you understand why keping the ballast remote is a good idea.

AZOO sell (I have seen them) MH fixtures with legs which look remarkably like the Coralife (and others) PC fixtures - these seem to work quite well, tho' the stock bulbs are pretty mediocre. I am not sure if these are available in the US but I would bet someone has them - there are enough resellers of cheapo PC lighting and MH.