Need to cool tank

Sep 15, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
I was wondering if any one knows any good ways of cooing a tank with out having to buy an expensive chiller. I am looking for any ideas both things i can go out and buy and also DIY projects. I only have to cool it 2-4 deg. F. Thank in advance.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
ziplock bags filled with water, stick them in the freezer, 2 drop my tank 4-6 degrees in like 30 minutes. But a more permanent solution would be to put a small air conditioner in the room with the fish tank in it. Fans blowing across the tank will help too.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
air conditioner is best option. I iced some 1 to 4 L bottles and let them sit in a hang on filter too. Blowing fan on the water surface is efficient too, but high evaporation will occur. The other cheap way is thermoelectrical chillers ( Peltier ) but you need a lot of power to get a mild refrigeration.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd say the expense of a chiller might be justified if you think of how much it will cost you (and how upsetting it would be) if things start dying in your tank because of the heat. A window a/c is another option you might consider to keep just that room cool.

Do you already have fans on your lights?

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
you could also make a DIY chiller. i've seen somebody take a mini fridge and run a small coil through that and back into thier tank. looked neat and it's probably very handy to keep your frozen foods right beside your tank.

Tim