need to know the best way to treat ich

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
So I've been treating a sixline wrasse in my quarantine tank with hyposalinity--but haven't been faithful enough to keep the salinity low enough. The ich had disappeared (or so I thought), but it was probably just in the dormant stage (don't know if dormant is right word, but I don't have time for formalities). Today I noticed that the little white scars are more present than ever before. I've been looking around on WWM for the best method to treat ich, if there is such a thing. That site is full of good info, but requires so much thorough reading. I don't have time to sift through all of the bs-I fear time is my fish's enemy now. What is the best and most effective way to treat for ich? I'm considering treating with copper--unless someone else has a better idea.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can't believe you're asking this but .....

copper administered properly is pretty much 100%, with hypo administered properly 95% (guesstimate). My 6 line has endured copper twice, so go to it...

No miracle cures I'm afraid

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I can't believe I'm asking either...
That's what I wanted to hear, from the two people I wanted to hear it from. I kept getting different opinions on WWM, so I guess now I know what to do. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
just make sure you treat with copper outside your main display tank......then keep fish out in qt for about 6 weeks till the ich leaves/dies out of the main tank. That I believe is the only way to get rid of it. Some gobies are not very tolerant of copper I think I read

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
Okay I've decided to treat with hypo again--I see now that I didn't have the SG anywhere near low enough

I went to my favorite LFS today just to look around--I asked about ich treatment, and they said do a freshwater dip (which according to wayne isn't effective). Also, every single tank had cyanobacteria growing over the substrate. Apparently the store is under new management. The selection wasn't as good as expected. I think that is going to be the last time I visit. The next closest store is 45 minutes away.