Need Urgent Help Filter Just Died!!

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I've got an Aqua Tech 5-15 HOB filter that I got from walmart as part of a kit. It was working great and doing a really good job at keeping the water clear. Last time I did a water change the filter would turn back on. I kept flipping the switch back and forth on my powerstrip and then it finally sputtered to life. Made me nervous but I soon forgot about it. Today I did my usual routine again and now it's completely dead. It was a kit so returning it is out of the question.

Not happy. I think I need to go out and buy a new filter. Any suggestions on a filter?

How long can my tank go without a filter? I just did a 40% water change. Thanks for the help!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
If everything fails I would take the filter cartridge out and set it in your tank. You can take the filter apart and check that the impeller works, I managed to find an on-line source for a new one, but it took a while and you don't really know if that is the problem. People do run tanks with out filters, but you should then have an airstone for circulation and probably do a partial water change frequently (daily) until you get the problem solved. I have been satisfied with the Aqueon filters.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
I'm going to go get a Pengiun 100. It fits the same cartridges, which I have 6 of, and has good reviews. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Hmm... Well I already bought the new filter... :eek:

I don't really want to go to the trouble of returning it and I don't even know if they accept used filters.

Plus the new one moves a lot more water and does a much better job of keeping the water clear.

I'll just keep the Aqua Tech as a backup and attempt to clean it out should I need to use it.

Thanks!

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Yeah it seems to be doing a really good job. My only issue with it is that it's a lot noisier than my old one. My old one was virtually silent, with only the sound of water spilling over. This one makes a slight mechanical noise/hum that isn't to bad but would be nice if it was gone altogether.

I've tried re-seating the impeller but it's still just humming along. It is slightly quieter than when I got it 2 days ago so maybe it just needs some break in time.

But still, worth it if it keeps my water cleaner.