Need Urgent Suggestion

Harris

New Fish
May 26, 2011
Hi everyone,
I am new to the fish, recently I got a gift of small 15-20L tank with 3 goldfish and 1 Black moor.
When I started looking at the net for fish care, I was terrified to learn that goldfish need larger tank!
I don't know what to do with the fish now, I don't want to kill them.
The fish are around 2 months old.
I am planning to buy a 4ft tank may be in 3-4 months. Can anyone tell me how much time I can keep those fish in the present tank? Your guidance are highly appreciated.
Ps:-Tank is fitted filter which is running 24hrs and oxygen pump, I am changing 20% of water everyday. Feeding twice daily. Until today fish seems to be alright.
They are swimming happily, no sign of stress or Sickness( some tips from internet).
Thanks

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
It sounds like you've done your research and what you're doing should be good enough until you can get them a larger tank. As you've found out, goldfish are just such messy fish that it is extremely difficult to keep them in a small tank without a lot of maintenance. You can also be sure not to feed them too much, that will help with the "messy factor".

HappyFish

Small Fish
May 23, 2011
USA
I agree with froggufish. You're doing fine. Probaly do 20 percent water change twice a week. Everyday seems overkill. If you want to start with fish that fit your existing tank without a heater-a Bertt and some white clouds. A pet store will gladly accept your goldfish. They usually fetd them to larger fish ;).

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I would disagree with happyfish's suggestion of cutting down on the water changes. Keep up the daily water changes!! Goldfish, as Froggyfox, said are very messy and your tank is currently very over stocked.

You are doing a great job!! If find that the water changes are too much than maybe you should try re-homing them. Anyways, good job on the water changes and welcome to the hobby of fish-keeping although you first experience is a little stressful. :)