Neon Terta Tank (5 gallons)

amcclure

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2008
The other day I bought a small hexagon 5 gallon tank to sit on my desk. I want to make it a neon tetra tank only.

What should I buy for the perfect neon tetra environment?? What special requirements do they have, if any?

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
You may find that they won't school very well in just a 5g... I don't know, but a 5g isn't all that big to try and do a school of neons so you may not get the effect you are going for.

The bigger the tank you have, the bigger the school you could get. And, the bigger the school, the more interesting they are to watch. :)

I think I remember reading that neons aren't very hardy fish. You should read up on cycling, if you haven't already. Neons may not live through the cycle, so you should look into doing a fishless cycle. There are sticky's here in the beginners section that tell you everything you need to know about cycling your tank. Then, if you have any questions, just ask!... Welcome to The Tank! *thumbsups

amcclure

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2008
After I posted that question I did some research on Neon Tetras and found out like you said that 5 gallons isn't a good tank size for Neon Tetras as they are schooling fish.

Do you have suggestions of non schooling fish that would do well in 5 gallon tank? I don't plan on putting any fish in my tanks for a while, just deciding on possible fish while waiting for the cycles to complete. I made the mistake of adding fish before the cycles were complete before and don't plan on doing that again....hehe! *twirlysmi

Meghan

Large Fish
Feb 27, 2008
Lynchburg, Va
If you go to a fish store, as opposed to Walmart, they usually have different species and lots of colors of bettas to choose from. I love bettas and I think a betta would make a great coworker. ;)

amcclure

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2008
Sorry I hadn't read your suggestion until after I had posted by last comment.
I have never had shrimp before so that might be interesting! At the moment I'm taking a break from Betta's, I have had a lot of them in the past.

amcclure

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2008
I really like the idea of a dwarf puffer, very cute!! I will have to do some research!!
Thank everyone for the suggestions!

I recently got back into my fish obsession, I have two 20 gallon tanks that I want to start up again but they have been missing since I moved....so hopefully I can find them because I don't want to buy them again!!

Last edited:
www.thepufferforum.com

I had an empty 5g as well after my betta died so I did some research and got a dp! She's such a cutie! :D

I actually moved her into my 6.6g and have her in the 55g with a divider now.

They only eat bloodworms (I only feed mine freezedried ones) and they need a lot of decor/plants because they get bored easily. Right now Weebo's (the dp) living space is rather boring, but I'll get more plants soon.

You can try Ember Tetras too. They are small, under 1" each. you could put a school of 8-10 in a 5 gallon tank.
Regarding Neons, and other tetras of their size, I would say you can keep 5 or so of them.
5 Gallons isn't a lot of room, but these types of fish don't make much waste.

Tetras like plants. Have a couple of plants that the fish are able to swim around and through. They wont care about other types of decoration, so anything else is up to your taste.

Jonathan

Jun 21, 2008
thomas619, I've noticed that you have made this suggestion on both this and another thread. Making suggestions is great, that's what we're here for, but it seems like you're suggesting fish because they look cool without researching them enough to know that they shouldn't be in a 5 or even 10 gallon tank. People have already told you on other threads that these fish will not work in a small tank. Not to sound harsh, I would just hate to see someone end up with fish that just die because they really shouldn't be in the tank they're in.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2008
Somewhere
A dwarf puffer would be great! As long as you keep it by itself and have hard water with a pH of about 7.5 the dwarf puffer would thrive. They also prefer live foods; some would rather die than eat flake food, or even frozen food. However, some will kill them selfs eating flake food, if you feed them enough.
P.S. Thanks for helping on my forum. :}
Sorry. I only notced that this would go on the second page after I posted it. This really goes on the page before this one.

Last edited: