Neon Tetra & Bronze Cory School Size Suggestions

Kimb

New Fish
Nov 3, 2010
Missouri
Hello! I have a 75 Gallon tank with 3 Silver Dollars and one Rubber Lip Pleco. Now that my oscar is dead, I'd like to change my tank more towards a schooling tank.

I'm leaning towards filling out my tank with Neon Tetras and Bronze Corys (and maybe one or two more Silver Dollars ~ there used to be 6). I'd like to have as many tetras as possible, but I don't want to leave my other fish lonely. I have a few questions:

1. What size schools would you suggest?

2. I don't use a light for my tank, just the lighting in the room, will I still be able to see the neons well?

3. Do you have a better suggestion for my main school of fish given what I said?

Thanks in advance, I'm new to the idea of keeping dozens of fish and even though I've kept fish for years, I feel like a newbie.

Oct 25, 2010
I have 20 neon tetras and I just love them...If I had the size of your tank, I would get alot. When my tank light is off, i really cant see them but then again I do not have room lights where my tank is.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I always found their blue showed up especially well with just room lights on. I'd do a big school of neons.. perhaps 20-30. I'd probably up your silver dollars to 6 again and as newman said I think 8-10 cories would be good. If you want more cories then perhaps 20 neons and 12-15 cories?

Just out of interest, why do you not use a light?

Kimb

New Fish
Nov 3, 2010
Missouri
My SDs are full grown, about 4.5 inches. The pleco is new and is about 1.5 -2 inches.

I don't know the precise reason I put the light away in storage all those years ago. I know that my fish wouldn't swim nearly as much as when it was off. I think it might be broken too (although that could just be the bulb). Plus, the tank's in my bedroom and one of its purposes is to provide background noise when I'm going to sleep. I'm not fond of the idea of having a light on all day in my bedroom. If you think it's important enough, I could dust it off and see if it annoys me.

Last edited:

Kimb

New Fish
Nov 3, 2010
Missouri
I hadn't thought of that.

Do people have problems with Silver Dollars eating fish? They have itty bitty mouths ~ you should see them try to eat peas *laughingc !

Also, I was surprised to see such big groups of corys. I was picturing around 5. Is that normal to have closer to 10?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I'm going to have 8 in my 55gal and if I had more space, I'd have more. They are happiest in large groups (the bigger the better). When I finally get the huge tank I want (280gal+), I'm going to have at least 15-20 of the little guys.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm pretty sure (edging to certain) that I've read silver dollars are herbivorous. I wouldn't think there'd be any problem there.
You are correct, MK, they are primarily herbivores, but I've still read tales of larger ones chomping their way through schools of smaller tetras. Not always - the neons could be fine, it's just a word of caution.