Neons afraid of the dark?

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
When I come home from work in the afternoon my neons are bright colored and schooling. The past few night I've turned my light on to check on my ADFs and my neons are completely pale, almost gray, and spread all over the tank. Is this normal? I haven't had my neons very long.

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
Thanks, I was getting a little worried. I haven't had much luck with tetras in my tank. I recently tried and failed to have Rummy-Nose and they brightened up and did fine for a few days, but died one by one before a week was up. I am suspicious of my Serpae Tetras though.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
yep totally normal. My marbled angel turns just about all silver when the lights go off and he is sleeping. Then when the morning comes and he wakes up he has all his jet black markings again.
Side note: I think it's pretty funny how long it takes for my angelfish to wake up sometimes. When I get home from work and flick the lights on, the rest of the fish take about 30 seconds or so to wake up and realize it's chow-time, but the sleepy angel drifts along the bottom bouncing into plants for a good ten minutes. He's pretty cute, all dopey and sleepy. :)

nikon70

Medium Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Visit site
there are alot of fish that change colour when they either are sleeping, scared, happy, etc

angels, kribs, neons, etc

all use colour differently, i thinks its really nice, esp with the kribs.