Neons?

aceracer

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2005
could you guys help me out? arnt the neons community fish? and the agles are semi agressive right? dont the agles eat or kill the little guys? or does that really depend on numbers of the neons, angles and size of tank?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You got it exactly right. Neons are community fish....angels can be territorial and they could eat neons if they're big enough. The size of the tank and the numbers of Angels vs neons would make a big difference on if they're compatible or not.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
In a 55, if the tetras are in a school (at least 5), and you start with small angels, it shouldn't be a problem. The angels will grow up with the neons, and won't see them as food. Or at least not for a few years until the angels are truly good size-at which point the neons will be getting on towards old age anyways. I've added little cory catfish with medium angels which were large enough to eat them, and there wasn't a problem.

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
Just to add to this line of questioning, are neons able to co-exist with a single male Betta? I have a 15 gallon with a betta in it, and I was wondering if I could move a few of my neons in there with him?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Depends on the betta. Some will get along, some won't. If he's getting along with the baby guppy, you are probably okay. Just watch him like a hawk for a while after moving tetras into his territory... and maybe rearrange the decorations if possible, so he's distracted and his territory is disturbed. I wouldn't split up the neon school anyways, I'd move one of the small tetra schools completely into the 15g. 11 neons feel safer than a group of 4 neons.