Nest building?

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
So recently my dwarf Gourami has been collecting all the pieces of floating plants and other leaves that have fallen and placing them in a floating pile. And while I appreciate it because now there aren't a lot of pieces of riccia floating around, he's starting to dismantle the riccia that i've tied down to rocks and dw. Actually, two rocks and a part of drift wood are already bald. I'm assuming that he's building a nest in a similar way that bettas make bubble nests. Is this a seasonal thing or will this always happen as long as he's happy?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Usually lowering the water level and upping the temperature encourages spawning since it replicates the dry season... so some bull like that... but if hes doing it I think its kinda cool, unless it is ruining your plants.

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
Ah interesting. That actually makes sense because the water level dropped a lot during the Thanksgiving vacation. I wouldn't say he's ruining the plants, just disorganizing them which will create more work for me later. Right now the pad of riccia and other plants is a circular hump with a 6 inch diameter. Maybe I'll post a picture later...after finals...Thanks for the quick response!